093 ATS Grommet

Therkhan7_3Turbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got it all fixed, seems to run way better now, used to if the truck cranked slow it wouldn't even start... now with the new lift pump 3-4 rotations and it's running which I'm pretty happy about.

My next task if I decide to keep it is cleaning out the coolant system, has anyone used any good chemicals to try and get most of the junk out? P.O. definitely used straight water for a while. I'm not super worried about cavitation, as when I pulled the pan and front cover the motor looks like a reman, it's spotless no burnt oil, or residue, plus it still mostly IH Grey. I just want to get it cleaned up good and running proper coolant, will most likely do the Coolant filter setup from Napa, setup as bypass on the heater core end.

I've looked at Thermocure which seems to be the best but I'm not trying to destroy anything in the process, I'll try 2-3 flushes with straight distilled water first.

Therkhan7_3Turbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I was an idiot and didn't notice the diesel pooled up in my valley, went to go driving to test out my new lift pump and see if I'm still having issues with the fuel filter light and power .

Stopping at the end of my road reaching the main thorough fare for my city my truck slung my belt and I almost drove my truck into traffic with no brakes.... That was exciting and stupid on my part. New belt this morning and took it for a quick hour drive and bunch of idling to really heatsoak the motor and no issues as of yet with my lift pump. Guess the old one was tired.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

Therkhan7_3Turbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well getting all my hurricane prepping done today and noticed on the highway my trucks fuel filter light would come on sometimes.... Thought I fixed it.

Filled my front tank and it hasn't done it yet ( drove 75 on hwy so high rpm ) wonder if my rear tank has bad seals for the fsv ? Or if the pick up is royally ******. It was at under half a tank so driving around it sloshes and I guess can let air in lines and cause vacuum in the filter head. Might try and give a 1/4 spin to the filter too just incase.

Therkhan7_3Turbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a nice looking truck.
Pictures Do it lots of Justice. A lot of the white has flakes and most of the clear on the red is gone. If I keep it for a while longer I may just respray the white and red with single stage.

Needs some interior love... Door panels desperately but it runs so good now, especially when j order the correct size check valve for the fuel feed from tanks.

Therkhan7_3Turbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can anyone confirm the fuel line size for a 7.3, the little 90* metal block to the plastic return? Is it 3/8th?

Therkhan7_3Turbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright, I'm starting to get to a point of frustration.

All rubber fuel lines in the front of the truck are new, all new return caps and o rings, new return line from the metal block to the poly return line. New line from the steel metal feed to the Lift pump. New Olive seals on all steel feed lines. Filter is on tight, and all other things on filter head look good and don't seep any fuel.

With all that I'm still getting BAD priming issues. 7/10 the truck will start no problem, and other times I have to crank it till it primes and fires off... What gives?

Is it possible the mechanical pump is causing drain back from the filter head and injectors?

I literally don't see any diesel anywhere, and the truck runs like a bat out of hell with no hiccups or power issues from air intrusion.

The last things I can think of are the plastic push lock fittings on the FSV? What size are those O-rings?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
For the "push lock/quick disconnects" you're better off just replacing the whole fitting.
Are you sure this isn't a glowplug issue?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Therkhan7_3Turbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glow plugs work good, this is also on a piping hot motor. I'm almost positive it's not my pump because for almost 2 weeks straight the truck starts great even after pulling a heavy load and pushing 220*

It's quite literally random. I'm going to order a check valve soon for pre lift pump and hope that solves some of it... Also the Schrader valve is what 1/8npt ? I'm about to install. A low pressure gauge see if I'm loosing prime pre or post filter.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
If it's happening on a hot engine, I would look into the wiring. Or the shutoff solenoid on the ip.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Therkhan7_3Turbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could heat soaked starter be my issue ? Cause when my motors cold it spins way faster, than when it's been heating up on a drive... I'm planning on getting a gear reduction starter or just a good name brand stater.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Powermaster 9051? That what everyone likes ? I'm just trying to stop the wife from getting mad when the truck doesnt want to start lol.

If she doesn't like the price, you can remind her that she doesn't like it when the truck won't start. Then tell her that you're just trying to make her happy!:Thumbs Up