“The 6.9” project thread

onetonjohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quality Diesel machine in Sacramento is who I contacted. I’d like to use Valley Balance and Machine but they’re down in Ceres. That’s a little far for me to run down to before work. I’m gonna swing by the place in sac and talk to them about how they sleeve it.
Dell's Machine shop in Sacramento is good too. I've used them for 30 years for various jobs and always had good results. I think the guy who used to do cranks retired, so now they send them out, but all the other work is done there AFAIK. I think it's Dave at the counter. Dell's kid. Didn't bat an eye at doing my IDI heads with precups - knew all about clearance issues. Very knowledgeable.

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you guys remember a few years back I installed that firewall reinforcement plate because it had a lot of flex. One thing led to another and I found the firewall had literal holes in it from the flex. Decided I’d try to actually fix it. I cut all the bad out. I suspect this will be strong enough lol

Attachments

• IMG_0426.jpeg
    IMG_0426.jpeg
    436.1 KB · Views: 18
  • 71902506498__EA8777FA-6DA0-41E2-93A1-A48941A7E99A.jpeg
    71902506498__EA8777FA-6DA0-41E2-93A1-A48941A7E99A.jpeg
    192.4 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0428.jpeg
    IMG_0428.jpeg
    390.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0429.jpeg
    IMG_0429.jpeg
    372.6 KB · Views: 18

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you guys remember a few years back I installed that firewall reinforcement plate because it had a lot of flex. One thing led to another and I found the firewall had literal holes in it from the flex. Decided I’d try to actually fix it. I cut all the bad out. I suspect this will be strong enough lol
That looks tough as nails! Promote it and sell it on eBay!

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am glad to see that you are using authentic Vise-Grip pliers...

I like your tool for guiding the plasma cutter torch...

Crafty..that firewall re-inforcement ain't goin' to flex anywhere...

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am glad to see that you are using authentic Vise-Grip pliers...

I like your tool for guiding the plasma cutter torch...

Crafty..that firewall re-inforcement ain't goin' to flex anywhere...
Thank you sir. I wish I had a plasma cutter!! LOL I used the torch. We do have one buried in the loft. I’ve been thinking about buying a little one though. Some of the cheaper harbor freight ones supposedly cut through 3/8 like butter.

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That looks good, what diameter plate did you use? I like harbor freight. I wouldn’t currently buy a plasma from them though. The titanium line doesn’t have that great of support length and warranty by default. You can get a 50a Lotos off amazon for $249 and the support is good. I had a Hobart plasma cutter years ago, returned it. If you have a good compressor setup with external demoisture cans then you’ll be fine. I think the humidity is lower by you too. Between consumables, moisture due to integrated compressor, the plasma cutter not liking rust, paint, or dirty metal.. I didn’t like it. I heard at the scrapyard they are using hypertherm but you pay for it. Torch and angle grinder has lasted me this long.

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used the torch.
That is some dang good torch cutting...It takes a very steady and disciplined hand to cut that nice with a torch...something that I wish that I had...

I got a small, older model Hobart plasma cutter with a small mig welder as a package deal from a guy a coupla-three years ago and used it some...seemed to not have a very long duty cycle before it would switch to cooling cycle...I was able to fix some stuff with it on my truck...I'll keep it and keep trying to make it work until I get frustrated enough with it to upgrade...

I used a Hypertherm in welding class and it was the cat's meow...if I ever work up the scratch to get one...I will...can't beat it...

But if you can cut metal that good with a torch by hand...I gotta hand it to ya...you are talented...

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would riviting it be sufficient? Maybe put some liquid nails between the it and the firewall and pop rivets?

This is to stiffin up the FW area, Bolts would be better to secure it tight.
I read the car manufactures use some type of epoxy sealant to hold Body panels together instead of welding. From what I read, good as welding....Makes me wonder...
If so, use it between the plate and FW. Maybe s few bolts to secure it tight till the Epoxy sets.

Goat

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is some dang good torch cutting...It takes a very steady and disciplined hand to cut that nice with a torch...something that I wish that I had...

I got a small, older model Hobart plasma cutter with a small mig welder as a package deal from a guy a coupla-three years ago and used it some...seemed to not have a very long duty cycle before it would switch to cooling cycle...I was able to fix some stuff with it on my truck...I'll keep it and keep trying to make it work until I get frustrated enough with it to upgrade...

I used a Hypertherm in welding class and it was the cat's meow...if I ever work up the scratch to get one...I will...can't beat it...

But if you can cut metal that good with a torch by hand...I gotta hand it to ya...you are talented...
Thanks man. I learned everything from my grandad. I gotta give him props as much as possible. He lives and breathes fab work.

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finished the firewall. Had to add a little sheet off to one side because it was so thin on that corner. Rattle canned it all black (definitely hit it with a grinder first). Then I finally fully bolted the core support down and pretty much have the fenders mounted permanently. I’m waiting for some plastic shims to take place of my washers. With the fender liner in it actually is starting to look like a truck again. I don’t really have a whole lot of stuff left. I just don’t have a lot of time. Maybe I’ll just “have covid” for a week soon.

Attachments

• IMG_0478.jpeg
    IMG_0478.jpeg
    315.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0448.jpeg
    IMG_0448.jpeg
    497.6 KB · Views: 17

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member