“The 6.9” project thread

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finished the firewall. Had to add a little sheet off to one side because it was so thin on that corner. Rattle canned it all black (definitely hit it with a grinder first). Then I finally fully bolted the core support down and pretty much have the fenders mounted permanently. I’m waiting for some plastic shims to take place of my washers. With the fender liner in it actually is starting to look like a truck again. I don’t really have a whole lot of stuff left. I just don’t have a lot of time. Maybe I’ll just “have covid” for a week soon.
What was your welding setup for that?

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What was your welding setup for that?
So we have a big Miller but it’s set up for thick stuff, 045 wire and it’s pretty hard to dial down for thin ****. I used my little Lincoln. I had .035 wire and had everything turned way down. It works a lot better but not nearly as easy to fine tune as the big one.

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like blue and gray/silver myself

You must be registered for see images attach

Or Dark green and tan, but that's somewhat of an army/military look.

Or a good burnt orange metallic and black metallic.

I agree though, too much rattle can white or black any more. And flat black on hot rods and classics has been beaten to death so badly it's to the point that's its necrophilia.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So we have a big Miller but it’s set up for thick stuff, 045 wire and it’s pretty hard to dial down for thin ****. I used my little Lincoln. I had .035 wire and had everything turned way down. It works a lot better but not nearly as easy to fine tune as the big one.

I bought a spool of the baby wire just for that type of work. 0.023 or something like that.

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I finally got the front clip mounted and the fender liners in. It took me a minute to get the fenders lined up and during the process it became very apparent that ford was not super focused on stuff being straight. The core support was 1/2 taller on one side. The driver fender that I got from my parts truck lines up with the top body line, but the lower body line is 1/2 inch off. This all made the front clip bind up and the door-fender clearance was all weird. To counteract that I just shimmed the front cab mounts. When I paint this I’m going to find a different fender and maybe can take the shims out. Not really something I’m super worried about though. I wouldn’t be super surprised if the cab is even a little tweaked from the accident judging by how messed up the frame was. All in all I think all of these old truck were built kinda weird.

Attachments

• IMG_0667.jpeg
    IMG_0667.jpeg
    364.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0665.jpeg
    IMG_0665.jpeg
    197.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 72203586666__693AAC2A-F5AC-4AB0-820E-EBDD7A54AFFB.jpeg
    72203586666__693AAC2A-F5AC-4AB0-820E-EBDD7A54AFFB.jpeg
    312.8 KB · Views: 13

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I cannot weld this thin material to save my life. Oh well. It’ll all be covered by sealant anyways. It’s all together and feels much better.
When I'm welding thin sheet metal I use .023 wire and bump up the shielding gas. Also it seems the thinner the material, the cleaner the metal needs to be + the quality of your ground connection is important. If you're welding thick to thin, start the weld on thick material and fan it over to the thinner material. If the thin material has any rust directly in the path of the weld it will likely blow through.

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well over the weekend I guess I made a little progress. I moved my 7.3 motor from my house to the shop. So now I’ll be able to tear it down.

I figured you guys would like the pictures. I thought my bladder could last the 30 minute drive home from work, until I was about to *** myself. I lasted until my off ramp and tried to pull over on the shoulder real fast. There were a ton of leaves and I got sent off into the muddy ditch LOL. I had to call my GIRLFRIEND to come tow me out with her 4x4 ranger. She felt real cool.

Attachments

• IMG_0933.jpeg
    IMG_0933.jpeg
    105.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0931.jpeg
    IMG_0931.jpeg
    222.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0932.jpeg
    IMG_0932.jpeg
    242.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0930.jpeg
    IMG_0930.jpeg