“The 6.9” project thread

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks pretty handy! I'd probably want to gusset it better, there's not a whole lot of weld surface holding that receiver tube to the "hitch" bar. But I'm always paranoid about stuff like that so ???

I mean, I built a bumper with 3/8 square tube mounts and heavy C channel so.... Yeah overkill LOL
Oh for sure I’d gusset it more and I might still do it but I really don’t plan on putting much weight on it at all LOL.

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
Oh for sure I’d gusset it more and I might still do it but I really don’t plan on putting much weight on it at all LOL.
Famous last words LOL
Something tells me we'll soon see, "jumping a bullnose while maneuvering a trailer" lol
I'm sure that'll put the hitch through it's paces......

Rock

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
He’s just a good ol' boy,
Never meaning no harm
Beats all you never saw,
Been in trouble with the law
Since the day he was born

Straightenin' the curves,
Flattenin' the hills
Someday the mountain might get 'em
Bur the law never will

Makin' his way in that VW beetle till he gets his truck done
The only way he knows how
That's just a little bit more than the law will allow

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I first saw your picture I was thinking you were going to use the VW to Motor Boat around the pond.
The original Beetles were able to float they were so water tight, or so I remember from back in the day.

When I was in the Navy, we were in Sydney, Au. in July 64. The local VW Dealer set one up with a shaft and propeller to be able to navagate in the bay for a promotion, Was pretty cool.

There is a guy down the road from us with a Beetle, and he was pulling a small Trailer with his Dirt Bike. Was zooming past us heading up in the hills.

Goat

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya know the Bonnet was to be strong enough to have a machine Gun mounted to it.

I had 2 of them. the 67 was my baby. bought a 69 brand new. Simple to work on, run for ever.

My 67 I had rebuilt the engine, later on I was heading off to work going up hwy 17 from Santa Cruz towards San Jose. At the top of the hill was a restraurant and went in for coffee.
get in the car and had another mile to the top. dang thing hardly made it the last mile.
headed back down to home, started checking things. Pulled off the left VC and there was the Rocker Assy.in the cover.
Ran ok on the flats and down hill, just would not pull up hill.
Not too bad on 1/2 the engine.

Goat

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7