Zf5 swap and engine swap

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
When your truck is in the condition that yours is in, there's a much easier way to add fluid to the transmission than your way. The shifter tower is held on by four allen head bolts. Just remove this and dump the fluid in. Put the top back when you're done. Easy.

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When your truck is in the condition that yours is in, there's a much easier way to add fluid to the transmission than your way. The shifter tower is held on by four allen head bolts. Just remove this and dump the fluid in. Put the top back when you're done. Easy.

Yeah i did that way in my ford ranger when I had the interior pulled out. This way was pretty easy too.

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where are people getting the cowl moulding that seals the cowl to the hood? Mine is crumbling.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
LMC Truck and Bronco Graveyard both carry it. Some say to use the lower seal for an overhead garage door. I haven't tried that way yet, but I probably will in the future.

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What U joints are you all using for the front drive shaft out of a 1992, manual trans, single cab diesel? I got Dana 51204x/Spicer 1330 and I swear its wrong. I feel like the caps are too big. So I went to rock auto and they list two dana/spicer u-joints as fitting the front drive shaft, one they consider daily driver and the other economy. The daily driver 51204x is listed as having all 1.063 bearing caps, but the economy 151204x is listed as having two 1.063 bearing caps and two 1.125 bearing caps. So even though I ordered the daily driver joint I am wondering if I got sent the economy joint with the two bigger caps. I only tried one cap as I assumed they were all the same size. Do you all know which U-joints I need for this front drive shaft?

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I am going to need to get the reverse lights working since I am reading they are run thru the mpls for the e4od. I ordered the two pin pigtail to fit the back up light switch on the zf5, I assume if can tie into the existing wiring (on the second pic from the bottom wires 2&3) under my truck for the mpls...is that what others have done? Here is a diagram I found on someone else’s thread. I assume tie in the line marked power to one side of the switch and then the other side gets the line marked for the back up lights? Would it also make sense to jump the two wires (wires 1&4, second pic from bottom) together that have to do with starting?

You must be registered for see images attach

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What U joints are you all using for the front drive shaft out of a 1992, manual trans, single cab diesel? I got Dana 51204x/Spicer 1330 and I swear its wrong. I feel like the caps are too big. So I went to rock auto and they list two dana/spicer u-joints as fitting the front drive shaft, one they consider daily driver and the other economy. The daily driver 51204x is listed as having all 1.063 bearing caps, but the economy 151204x is listed as having two 1.063 bearing caps and two 1.125 bearing caps. So even though I ordered the daily driver joint I am wondering if I got sent the economy joint with the two bigger caps. I only tried one cap as I assumed they were all the same size. Do you all know which U-joints I need for this front drive shaft?

I’ll answer one of my own questions. The specs that rock auto lists for the daily driver joint are wrong. Two caps are smaller than the other two. U-joints are installed in the front drive shaft now.

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do you all post videos? I took a nine second video but it still says it’s too large.

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I worked some on the interior last night. I still need some input on how to get the ignition working with the key and also verify how to wire the reverse switch.

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got my repaired radiator support back last night so I am ready to move forward with re-assembly of the front end. The problem is I took it apart 5.5 years ago and don’t remember how everything goes? Does anyone have pictures of a front end of an obs that would be helpful putting the front end body components back together?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86