Zf5 swap and engine swap

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have not worked on my truck in years but I’m trying to light a fire under the project. My truck is a 94 idit, e4od. My engine failed about 5 years ago. I initially bought another factory turbo engine to swap in but the engine turned out to be no good so the truck sat for a few more years. While it was sitting I decided I wanted to make it what I really want and convert it to 5 speed so I bought a 92 farm truck 7.3 n/a zf5 truck. I also pulled the na engine since it is in running condition so that is torn down right now, I pulled the heads and did the coolant passage mod to use the 6.9 head gaskets. I pulled all the parts and it sat for another year and a half. That’s the short story so I decided to try to get this thing moving forward tonight. Tonight I took the seat out pulled the carpet, removed the trans tunnel cover, pulled the steering column, and took the auto brake pedal out. I do have a question about the column, why do most people swap to the manual column? The column in my truck is in much better shape than the doner column. What needs to be done to keep the auto column?

You must be registered for see images attach

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
im using an auto column in my ZF with manual covers to get rid of the hole for the auto shifter i removed.
i havnt really found a difference besides the shifter and the covers.

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im using an auto column in my ZF with manual covers to get rid of the hole for the auto shifter i removed.
i havnt really found a difference besides the shifter and the covers.

Okay that’s good news. I remember when I was researching this a few years ago someone said you need to hold something up that is on the auto column I just can’t remember what they said. I was just going to remove the auto shifter assembly and hopefully use it.

adding a link from a thread I started a year and a half or so ago, last time I worked on the truck.
https://www.oilburners.net/threads/zf5-swap-questions.84736/

Last edited:

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
on the earlier years, the physical columns are different, with a arm on the other side of the firewall

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
Even on the bull and brick u can use auto column. I have an 85 auto column in my 91 zf. As far as obs (92-94) I'm not sure if they will accept earlier year columns, but auto to manual they are fine.

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What valve spring compressor tool are you all using on these engines? I ordered one that attaches to a 1/2” drive but I just got a message saying my order cannot be filled because the tool has been discontinued. What are you all using? I want to replace the valve stem oil seals while I have the heads off.

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What spot are you all installing your pyrometer for your Egts? I figure it will be easier to drill a spot while the engine is out.

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced the bushings on my manual pedals before it goes on the truck. I also prepped the arm on the clutch for the heim joint mod, the ball stid was really worn.

Hobbywelder

Reaction score
Not to hijack this thread but, why a zf5 over a zf6?

i know the 6 is a bit of a pain to put in and would require further modification.

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to hijack this thread but, why a zf5 over a zf6?

i know the 6 is a bit of a pain to put in and would require further modification.

I did not know people were putting 6 speeds in these trucks. I chose the zf5 because it's been proven time and time again and seems like a very straight forward swap.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmustang1965

Members online