Zf5 swap and engine swap

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How does this bearing look? Also can anyone confirm the final tq spec on the cap nuts is 51 ft/lb? I have a Haynes manual for the 6.9/7.3 engine. What I am basing this off of is what’s listed for the connecting rod nuts.
You must be registered for see images attach

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks hidden. Pull the bearing half off. What you need to look at is the surface that rides against the crank shaft.

51 ft lb is what my manuals say too.

Make sure you pay attention to orientation when you put it back together. You can also check bearing clearance with some plastigage as well. I believe spec is .0011"-.003?" I just checked a couple on mine and they were at .002". Make sure you lube the bearing with some assembly lube or clean oil when you put it back together.

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks hidden. Pull the bearing half off. What you need to look at is the surface that rides against the crank shaft.

51 ft lb is what my manuals say too.

Make sure you pay attention to orientation when you put it back together. You can also check bearing clearance with some plastigage as well. I believe spec is .0011"-.003?" I just checked a couple on mine and they were at .002". Make sure you lube the bearing with some assembly lube or clean oil when you put it back together.

Thanks for the advice. I have never checked bearings on an engine before so I apologize for the poor attempt . What I did does not even make sense now that I think about it...oops. Is pulling just one bearing out enough to make a call if they are in decent shape? I saw this engine run when I bought the doner truck and it sounded fine I just want to make sure I comb thru it properly before I put it back in.

Philip1

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pulling one can give you a decent idea about the engine but since you are already there, I would recommend checking all of them.

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I pulled 4 of the connecting rod caps and they all looked the same. I think they look fine. Let me know what you all think. No noticeable ridges or grooves.

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I plan to use the old BB injectors in my bad engine to put into this engine because they have very few miles. The injectors have not been run in about 5 years. Should I soak them in something before installing? What do you all recommend? What about the injection pump, do I need to do anything to that to get it loosened up from sitting?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I'm not sure if there's anything that will get inside the injectors without taking them apart. My Ex Wife truck has been sitting for 18 years. I plan to take the top off of the pump and make sure that it's clean inside. Then I'm going to fill it with either Diesel Kleen or Hot Shots Extreme and let it soak while I tear the engine apart. I may even hook up a couple of jumper wires and turn the driveshaft by hand until some liquid dribbles out of the lines just to make sure that everything is as clean as I can get it.

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What about the 5 year old fuel in the tanks? Is that fine to run? I was going to add a bunch of fuel treatment to it if it’s fine to use.

Philip1

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What about the 5 year old fuel in the tanks? Is that fine to run? I was going to add a bunch of fuel treatment to it if it’s fine to use.
It shouldn't hurt anything other than the possibility of the fuel filter. Diesel takes a long time to break down compared to gasoline. If it was me, I would dilute it as much as possible with fresh diesel then give it a heavy dose of you're preference of additive.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
It shouldn't hurt anything other than the possibility of the fuel filter. Diesel takes a long time to break down compared to gasoline. If it was me, I would dilute it as much as possible with fresh diesel then give it a heavy dose of you're preference of additive.
I'll second this.

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
Then I'm going to fill it with either Diesel Kleen or Hot Shots Extreme and let it soak
I have tried this method while the injectors are apart and it works quite well. I will suggest using the hot shot to soak them as it seems to work alot better. Then use diesel kleen in tanks. I would recommend rinsing the injector parts with diesel before re assembly to avoid being burned as the hot shot will eat away at your hands bare ******* it as I did, once....

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got some more stuff done yesterday, cleaning and putting things back together. I installed new front and rear main seals. I took the oil pan off of my old engine and put it on this one since the pan had a hole in it. I also replaced the water pump and the fuel pump. With the fuel pump I used a carter pump. The pump that I took out had a sharp bend in the arm but the Carter’s pump had a straightish arm, the literature that came with the pump said it would work fine replacing the bent arm pump. So I bolted it in place. Do I need to do anything special with the fuel pump so the arm is in the proper place? Also...I feel like I am spending all of my time cleaning and scraping old gaskets

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86