cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
I got the heim joint installed tonight and put the manual pedal set in.

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put the steering column back in. I needed to cut the bracket that hold the auto shifter cable. I also used the manual clam shell to cover up the shifter hole (I have an auto shifter if anyone needs one)
Do any electronics need to be swapped over from the manual column?

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tonight I took the heads apart. Any advice while I’m at this point? I was going to spray them down with degreaser and pressure wash them. I have already loosened my injectors and glow plugs too. I plan to replace the valve stem oil seals and clean things up then put it back together. I do have slight surface rust on the block mating surface. Should I just use a soft wire brush on this? Also some things to note all of my intake valves had a bunch of build up on them...I assume this is normal, and my valve stem oil seals were pretty much non existent...I assume this is normal too.

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
5 pic limit. Here is the build up on the intake valves I’m talking about.

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was looking thru my parts for my valve stem seals. I bought the felpro cylinder head kit. But I bought it years ago so I don’t know if I have misplaced some valve stem seals. I have 8 red umbrella style seals and then I have a larger pack of some clear bushing looking things. Am I missing some seals? How do the clear bushings work into this equation?

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I cleaned up the heads a little bit and I flipped them over to clean the mating surface well. None of the valve guides seems to be bad but I do have one intake valve that is a little more worn than the others. It looks like it has a larger shinny area on it where it would be contacting the valve seat/ so essentially the angle on the edge has been reduced. Is there a problem with using this valve? What would cause this?

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I cleaned up the intake valves, and that oil some effort that crud was really caked on there. Once I cleaned the valves I replaced the valve stem seals and put the heads back together.

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
Not to hijack this thread but, why a zf5 over a zf6?

i know the 6 is a bit of a pain to put in and would require further modification.
I had 2 zf6 and both crapped the bed within a few months of install on the same truck. Not a fan at all. Idk why others don't use the zf6, but in between that and price in one compared to a zf5 is why I no longer use them.

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I plan to do my rear main and front main oil seals. I have never done these on an idi, does any one have advice? My rear main seal came with a clear installer piece....what is the purpose of this? It says to install it at the same time as the seal and then pull it out? Is the point to pull the lip to the seal towards the outside of the engine?

Philip1

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The plastic sleeve is used to assist the installation of the rear main seal without damaging the seal. If you tried to install the seal without the clear plastic ring, you will likely destroy the seal.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
With that kind of seal, I like to remove the rear engine cover, install the seal in the cover, put the plastic sleeve over the crank, and then push the seal/cover over the sleeve. I think it's much easier than trying to install the seal over the sleeve while trying to install it into the cover at the same time. Just be sure to either drain the oil before removing the cover, or put a jack underneath the oil pan to lift the engine up. If you don't do one of these, then you'll likely lose oil when you pull the cover off and it will make quite a mess.

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With that kind of seal, I like to remove the rear engine cover, install the seal in the cover, put the plastic sleeve over the crank, and then push the seal/cover over the sleeve. I think it's much easier than trying to install the seal over the sleeve while trying to install it into the cover at the same time. Just be sure to either drain the oil before removing the cover, or put a jack underneath the oil pan to lift the engine up. If you don't do one of these, then you'll likely lose oil when you pull the cover off and it will make quite a mess.

Thanks for the advice. I have just never installed a seal that come with a protective ring. Also the engine is on a stand with no heads and the oil pan removed, so the oil spilling should not be an issue.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Also the engine is on a stand with no heads and the oil pan removed, so the oil spilling should not be an issue.
I should have known that, but for some reason, I was thinking that it was in the truck.cookoo
Even easier to do on a stand as long as you have the room to install the seal. I've seen some that didn't, but they were mostly home made ones.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freqencyheight

Members online