ZF5 Install

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Just wanted to ask, is there supposed to be an inspection plate that goes over the opening on the bottom of the ZF5 bell housing? I assume there is, but I don't have one...anyone have a picture?

Thanks in advance

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, there is supposed to be a plate...unfortunately, I don't have a picture. I re-used the inspection plate that was on my T-19 and didn't have any problems, FWIW...

TwoTone IDI

ZF swap completed!
Reaction score
theres one, it looks like a slice of cantaloupe. id love to have one if you run across it. since nobody seems to have one i almost wanna say its made out of plastic.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
theres one, it looks like a slice of cantaloupe. id love to have one if you run across it. since nobody seems to have one i almost wanna say its made out of plastic.
it's metal. I see them only on trucks that haven't gotten their first clutch job. they strangely dissapear when the trans is removed.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it's metal. I see them only on trucks that haven't gotten their first clutch job. they strangely dissapear when the trans is removed.:dunno

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Yes, there is supposed to be a plate...unfortunately, I don't have a picture. I re-used the inspection plate that was on my T-19 and didn't have any problems, FWIW...

That's good news, I'm replacing a T19 as well...hope to start on it this weekend as the T19 clutch is going south. I have a new solid flywheel and clutch as well as all new hydraulics. Just a few other "pieces" to get together to get it done.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rumor I have heard, that when you put these aftermarket oversize SMF clutch kits in, the cover will not fit and needs modification.

hce

So can i....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used the t19 cover on mine it fit, but just barely rubbed the front on the flywheel. A few washers between the cover and tranny on the back two bolts solved the problem.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I put on my LUK clutch kit I had to bang the inspection cover out a little. The teeth of the flywheel would hit the cover and make one heck of a racket.

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
Not sure about the diesel ZF, but the gas ZF inspection cover is molded into the spacer plate between the motor/trans. It's pretty stupid since you cant just remove it to inspect anything, you have the separate the motor/trans to get a look at anything.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I have a Sachs clutch set...has the dual row spring set on the clutch disk, etc. I got a great deal on it new as well, we'll see how it works out. It is the large clutch as well (12 1/4" I believe).

Last edited:

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
No mods to mine either and I'm leaning towards it getting bent a little during removal or something cause why would it hit afterwards the ring gear can't be any bigger or the starter wouldn't work