Zf5 fluid

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought I was reading to put synthetic atf in my transmission over mercron v but after changing it to mobile 1 synthetic it likes to kinda pop into first gear is how I would describe it? Almost like clutch isn't in all the way like a pop kinda grinding metal sound. Not every time but about half the time. Did I use the wrong stuff for it? Also while changing it for the first time to me there was quite a bit a glittery material in the catch pan and some sludge in the bottom of my trans, almost as much as a auto trans would have and the same looking stuff.

Dieselpowerking

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought I was reading to put synthetic atf in my transmission over mercron v but after changing it to mobile 1 synthetic it likes to kinda pop into first gear is how I would describe it? Almost like clutch isn't in all the way like a pop kinda grinding metal sound. Not every time but about half the time. Did I use the wrong stuff for it? Also while changing it for the first time to me there was quite a bit a glittery material in the catch pan and some sludge in the bottom of my trans, almost as much as a auto trans would have and the same looking stuff.

I used synthetic in mine that's what are parts manger said it called for from.the books.

ISPKI

Welding/metallurgical engineer/Metalsmith
Reaction score
I used Wolf Synthetic, works great so far.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It almost acts like a hydronic issue but they are only a couple years old and so is the clutch it's a luk single mass

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got 35k on Royal Purple ATF and it shifts like butter--even with 338k on the trans. No grinding or popping out of gear., new LUK clutch.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So does that mean my trans is dying at only 180k? It only seemed to start doing this after changing the fluid out. Idk if I told matters much but I did put a thing of Lucas in a long time ago when I was low on fluid? But again the amount of gunk and debris I got from the trans fluid change worries me a little being a manual I didn't think they lost that much material during a fluid change?

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I'm no expert but it sounds to me like your synchros were going bad and the fluid change just made it more apparent.

Kinda like the old myth about a fluid change killing an automatic. There's no grit floating around in the fluid, so the problem that was already there is just more noticeable now.

EDIT: If you were inclined to test my theory, I think Chryslers ATF+4 specification contains some friction additive which could potentially help in this situation. I'm not saying go buy it, but if you find yourself looking at a rebuild it might be worth a try.

tractorhead

Reaction score
I have a very worn out zf5, recently put syncros and bearings in it, it will not shift properly at all with mercon v only in it. It works reasonably well with 25% Lucas and mercon v.

264WSM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The book calls for ATF synthetic. This is usually 10w or 15w oil. Using a light oil like this helps with your fuel mileage, but is not your friend if you tow regularly. If you tow regularly, I'd recommend a 30w synthetic trans oil. I use this in my truck that tows https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-prod...nthetic-powershift-transmission-fluid-sae-30/ . In my grocery getter truck I use a 15w synthetic. If your trans has a fresh rebuild on it, I would get 20K on it before switching to the 30w.

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It can make a difference with engine oil though. Over 30 years ago I built my first big-block Plymouth Valiant (383 and a four-speed, lots of fun and fairly cheap) and changing from 20W-50 to 10W-40 made 0.4 mpg difference, consistently. Averaged 12.3 vs. 12.7 mixed city/highway driving.

So a transmission with lots of moving parts like a ZF-5 may also exhibit a measurable change but I would guess 0.1 mpg or less.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online