Zf5 fluid

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone know why I can constantly smell trans fluid now ? My shift boot has always been broken but now only after changing the fluid I can smell tranny fluid usually when I first start driving but maybe the whole time could just be getting used to it now. Or I went nose blind to the smell of the old stuff and this fluid has a stronger smell?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Even though the boot was "broken," it was likely still sealed. Until you opened it up.
Seal up yours or get a new one from lmc.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even though the boot was "broken," it was likely still sealed. Until you opened it up.
Seal up yours or get a new one from lmc.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Not the top cover of trans boot like my shifter In cab boot in the cab, I didnt over fill by a quart yet just topped off fluid this time through the normal fill plug. Like nothing has changed besides changing the fluid, I havent the noticed any leaks yet that are new but in can really smell the fluid for some reason it seems to Be when I'm taking off for the first couple times almost, I'm almost thinking the new fluid Is seeping from the front seal onto the clutch assembly somehow? I'm hoping not but I might pull my inspection cover to check

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know about this new fluid in there, was driving for about 1.5 hours and I think the trans was getting really hot. Could smell the tranny fluid, feel heat radiating off the floor and even the stick was pretty warm. Unloaded driving about 75-80mph at 2300rpms in OD. Would the new fluid cause this? Never happened like that before with really old atf. Not sure what was in it before this. New stuff was valvoline synthetic.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New stuff was valvoline synthetic.
Valvoline synthetic what? ATF?

Hard to imagine synthetic ATF getting hotter than dino. No real reason for it...did you make any other changes also? Injection timing, removed insulation/heat shielding from under the cab or engine bay, or the boot on the shifter is much more loose than normal and let's in lots more heat?
I have the loose boot thing and it used to cook my leg pretty good. Finally stuffed a towel between the 5speed and the tcase shifters to quiet the tcase rattle-- worked great for the boot leaking too!

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Boot has always leaked, atf yes, and no other changes just fluid. Heat shields never been there or insulation

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin