Will 245/75/16's fit on a Dually?

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
I just got a F350 CC Dually 4x4 for the lot and it needs tires, I have a nice set of 245/75/16's and was wondering if they would fit on the back without rubbing together. It has 235-85-16's on it right now.

Thanks!

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
I think they will rub. If they dont, when you load it, it will. I also have 235 85 16, and they are very close together.

Fozz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, they will probably rub. But it depends on the wheel offset. My truck originally had chrome steel wheels and with 235 85 16's it was close (215's are stock), especially with a load. When my brother bailed out of his 94 powerstroke dually, I grabbed his aluminum wheels that I have now, and there is a little more room between the tires but I don't think enough for a wider tire. I've seen duallys with big tires on them, but they're running spacers. What year is the dually? Dually 4x4 CCs are cool;Sweet

tractorman86

Reaction score
^^^ what he said it all depends on the wheels and if you wanna run spacers, we had a chitty:puke: dualy and goodyear 12ply 245s never touched even with a backhoe on it:D

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Yea its a 97 with factory aluminum Alcoas on it. I would not have a problem running a spacer on it, I would assume that I only would need a 1/4" or so,,..?

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NO they will NOT rub. Thats the size I've been running for a few years now. I do have a 1/4" spacer but its not needed. I tow a 5th wheel camper and a 350bushel gooseneck dump trailer and they have never rubbed. They do rub slightly on the front swaybar under a hard right turn but I havent noticed it now that I'm not running mud tires.

Attachments

• S2010050.JPG
    S2010050.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 18
  • S2010051.JPG
    S2010051.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 17

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my 235's rub on the sway bar.

Mine have always slightly polished the radius-arms.

I see it all at the shop.LOL

Many is the old stingy farmer/redneck that I have seen with P-265s on a DRW, mashed tightly against each other, simply because the neighbor down the road took them off his SUV and gave them to him.

We didn't see this so much back in the day when cars had 14s and 15s and trucks/trailers had 16s; but, now that many cars have 16s, I often have farmers remove a set of slick squatty P-rated tires from their wife's car, only to see those same tires on their gooseneck cattle trailer a few weeks later.cookoo

When you operate a tire-shop in a backwards rural community, you get an understanding of just how ignorant most of the world is.LOL

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
When you operate a tire-shop in a backwards rural community, you get an understanding of just how ignorant most of the world is.LOL

Understatement of the year!!! :)

Darrin, that's what I had on my truck, too. I had to switch things around because they would rub the leaf springs (cab and chassis axle) and use dually adapters now, with said tires but with the adapters, it's a different story. Anyway, yes, they worked fine on mine steel wheels.

Fozz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ironman, I bet yours don't rub because you're running full 80 psi (or close) all of the time? I agree if that is true. But the truck will ride like crap, a dually already has a marginal ride quality unloaded. I air down (a lot!) when unloaded, and I put Rancho adjustables on to get a decent ride.

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah 80psi towing. In that pic they had about 40ish in them. I have since gotten a set of Goodyear wrangler Silent Armor tires, they are a C rated tire so I will have to watch them while towing, but I dont intend on keeping them long. When I can afford it I will be putting the E rated tires back on it.

Fozz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had real good luck with the BF Goodrich Commercial T/A's. I got 63k out of my last set (yeah, they were REALLY worn!). Plus, Costco runs a buy 4 get $60 off deal every so often, so that makes it a little less painfull. I just bought set last year. But it's an all season tire, no aggressive tread.