will 10 w hydrualic oil burn in my idi

philadelphia

Reaction score
Im thinking of ways to save fuel costs here..I know that wvo is the way to go but in nyc there are companies that pay for itto recycle..So trying to get some from a resturant is next to impossible.on top of that they have regulations on storing and removal thanks to the nyc dep.:mad:

So im thinking since i have lots of lightweight hydrualic oil thats going to waste can i burn that..I could easily build a filtering rig in the shop to clean it..and have drums to store it in..i usually have at least 40 gallons in i good month from oilchanges on trash compactors i work on..

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Burns wonderfully, just make sure it filtered to at least 1 micron. Also heat it when its cool out.

When I was running wvo and wmo I wasnt heating anything, but it was 97 out everyday. The truck smoked a little cold but ran great when warmed up.

Also, run a second tank for purging, I didnt and never had a problem but many other members have.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That should be fine. Thats more of an additive then anything.

I started out mixing 20/80, but has fuel prices went up and I ran out of money the mix percentages got higher and higher until they hit 100%.

The truck was a bit slow till it warmed up, but ran great after that.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Yep. I even mix it in with the diesel for our big Toro mowers during the summer. They run little 4 cylinder Kubota turbo diesel engines and I've never had any problem with it. Just make sure its good and filtered.

Last edited:

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
In my recollection HYD oil burns great -I remember a small fire on a machine at the plant got to some spilt hyd oil.HOT!! Caught easily.I'm sure it is way better then motor oil.

Last edited:

DragRag

Reaction score
I run half used motor oil, and half diesel with no side effects at all. Hydraulic oil should burn even nicer. i would not hesitate to run 50/50 from the beginning with it, and start running a higher ratio until I find out what the smoke point is, then back it off. I have using WMO for two years now. I have saved enough money to buy several used motors if I ever had a problem, and I have not.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have run over 50%hyd oil and it works great.