Reconsidering my RV setup

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Temp gun? Anything to road side repair the power steering drip? Or just keep it full and resort to manual steering if you have a failure...?

OD on/off button? That would be of high priority for me.

I do have a little old temp gun thing, if the weird old battery will last very long. takes up almost no room, so good idea.

I have thought about trying to seal up the power steering leak with some ultra black Rtv, since it's probably the huge o-ring around the pump where it goes into the reservoir. No pressure, just has to hold in fluid. i saw some oil resistant Rtv at Walmart here this morning that claims 90 minute cure time. just try to glob it on and smear it into the crevice. My RV's got pretty bad but as long as i refilled it was ok. Just depends how bad the leak is, since it's a gravity leak.

I'll get a momentary switch at a store once I'm there. I'll be around two days anyway, waiting on the new pyrometer. I know of free public land very close by town without any huge grades, with a restroom. So after I grab a gallon of ATF at Walmart for the power steering, a sleeping bag, some food stuffs, and whatever else .. I'll head over there.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
oh and i checked online listed inventory for salvage yards have, nothing newer than 92 van wise at one, and no vans at all at the other... for the factory OD switch

and worst case for the power steering, I could stop and do the seal one day. it's a pain in the backside, but the seal kit is only $20 retail

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is also very common for the power steering return line to leak. If your lucky possible just the hose clamp is loose.

James

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hope there’s shade, cause until you do the build out, these vans get hot quickly. I tried sleeping in mine on night shift, I had shade most the day, but when the sun hit....oofta

Conversely don’t sleep on an air mattress. Your body will never warm the air and you’ll be miserable all night. Memory foam for the win.

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oh and i checked online listed inventory for salvage yards have, nothing newer than 92 van wise at one, and no vans at all at the other... for the factory OD switch

and worst case for the power steering, I could stop and do the seal one day. it's a pain in the backside, but the seal kit is only $20 retail
A lot of the yards around here I get better results when I call. Heck you could prolly just jumper it with a paper clip to get you buy for the few passes you’ll have to climb.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
A lot of the yards around here I get better results when I call. Heck you could prolly just jumper it with a paper clip to get you buy for the few passes you’ll have to climb.
I'll get a momentary switch for under $10 at O'Reilly's and some clip on splicers/taps.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I hope there’s shade, cause until you do the build out, these vans get hot quickly. I tried sleeping in mine on night shift, I had shade most the day, but when the sun hit....oofta

Conversely don’t sleep on an air mattress. Your body will never warm the air and you’ll be miserable all night. Memory foam for the win.

It's side and rear windows open, so i can leave them open. And it's not hot there anyway. It's 90 degrees here still and no ac running in the rv parked at my mom's. and humid. just getting by. it's mostly in the shade but still. Lucy won't be there so i don't have to worry for the moment about her in it.

I'll try to sleep on the bench seat for now, with a new $20 Walmart sleeping bag. i want to buy a proper mattress later

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My side and rear windows open too. But I’m a hot head and sleep really warm. Hopefully your experience will be different!!

Also if you go full build out, please make a thread!

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
My side and rear windows open too. But I’m a hot head and sleep really warm. Hopefully your experience will be different!!

Also if you go full build out, please make a thread!

Yep I will give it a thread of it's own like the RV has.

At DFW right now. Got to the gate and saw they changed it while i was on my way here. Oh well. i have 3 hours. it'll take 14 minutes including backtracking. grabbed coffee and a bite to eat here at the wrong gate

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just love airlines!! A business with a customer service department solely to earn a “checked” box and nothing more. Unless I have to cross an ocean, I prefer to drive!!

I was on nightshift with a departing flight at 8 am. I’m headed back to SD from CO, no place exotic. I get an email around 1 am stating that my flight had been changed. I called and found insufficient rest the reason. This bumped my Denver to Sioux Falls flight to the following day.

They couldn’t give one flying hoot. I got a refund, worked my 12 hour shift and then drove 15 hours in a ‘91 suburban without CC.

This was United and every other airline is the same!!! Eff em!!!

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
This was United and every other airline is the same!!! Eff em!!!

I reserved Lyft to take me to the airport and their system does care that no drivers work around there. thank goodness one old lady drives for Uber overnight so i still got a ride. it cost $9 vs lyft wanting $20. i tipped her $5 via the app. still paid $6 less than expected.

the taxis are far worse.

on board for CO now, about to take off

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Unless I have to cross an ocean, I prefer to drive!!
Same here. I can leave off everything before the comma and still be 100% accurate. The only time I flew in a plane, across an ocean, I ended up in Iraq. After that, I have no desire to do either again. Helicopters are an entirely different thing. Aside from being EXTREMELY noisy, I love flying in them. It always feels so smooth compared to flying in a plane.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
made it and got the van

pyrometer probe must be bad, i can't get it working and it has very little resistance.

and it ... has an attic. i thought this was an escape hatch, and i could swear it was locked before. no wonder it's no taller inside. i thought the ceiling seemed low for having that top. LOL

this is just as well, really. when i install my solar panels, i don't have to worry about leaks per say. should also keep it cooler inside. it had an exhaust fan and dome lights working in there at some point.

You must be registered for see images attach

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online