Why we stress using Motocraft glow plugs

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
This is why I felt compelled to post this up. As much of a staunch supporter of using oem products, this was not an easy post going against my "preachings". It was merely a bandaid that indeed failed. Much faster than I was hoping as this isn't a highly driven truck.
As Gary pointed out the tolerances of the combustion space and glow plug dimensions, there's little room for comfort. Even as noisy as these engines are, my tuned ears could actually hear that glow plug tip bouncing around in the cylinder.
As Mater is turbocharged, this brings one more factor to the equation, if the plug tip passes, it'll more that likely end up in the turbine IF it were to make it out of the cylinder without hanging up the exhaust valve, smashing the piston and then possibly windowing the block.
So in this particular incident, cutting a corner, even as a temporary fix, will now consume much more time.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Ron... Determining if any tip has made it out of the cylinder is like trying to tell which bean in the can caused the fart...:eek::angel: Surely some of it has gone out so the pieces are many now. And remembering that turbine hot wheel is spinning as fast as 120,000 rpm... Thats 2000 rpm per second..

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the best baind aid to help aid in starting would be the dreaded spray (carefully,but id avoid it if i could) or if your at home,just blow dryer is all it takes for a few mins,or you also have the gas rag fume trick.

there are other things you can do, besides using anything but beru.:D

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry...

Pull the head....most difficult but easiest in the end...YOU said it about shortcuts...

Now it's time to make good on this and TAKE NO MORE shortcuts....

JM2CW

Al

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried the Diesel Rx plugs a couple of years ago. I think these are actually Wellmans. They are generally advertised as heating better and faster and that is why I tried them. Went through 2 cold start cycles fine, and on the third the wait to start light went off in about 2 seconds. Uh-Oh! I started pulling out and checking the new plugs. One plug had fried and swelled up so bad I barely got it out. I was sweating that removal! Probably only did get it out because the plug was "new" and hadn't gotten much carbon on it yet. I was not happy and sent the plugs back. Fortunately, the seller gave me a full refund. I have also used Bosch's before I knew better, and they did okay, but did not seem to heat as well as the Berus. I am thoroughly convinced - the Berus/Motorcaft are the only plugs to install!

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the best baind aid to help aid in starting would be the dreaded spray (carefully,but id avoid it if i could) or if your at home,just blow dryer is all it takes for a few mins,or you also have the gas rag fume trick.

there are other things you can do, besides using anything but beru.:D

I wonder if anyone has ever permanently rednecked a blow dryer to the cig lighter in the truck (since it gets juice even with the truck off id think it would be a good idea?)?......what is this gas rag fume trick you speak of?

Btw i call my truck mater to haha, i even have a little tow mater in the glovebox my gf got me that has all his one liners from cars and cars2

8ball

Reaction score
Well, I just wanted you to know that your efforts on steering folks the right way have not been wasted. I almost bought a set of champions when rockauto had them on clearance for $2.50 each, but after reading all the reports, I stepped up and bought a set of berus, even though I'm a self admitted cheap sonofagun. :) Thanks for helping us newbies avoid the pitfall of poor glowplug choices.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what is this gas rag fume trick you speak of?

apparently,you can wet a rag with gasoline (not enough to drip) and hold it over the open intake of the n/a at least,and she'll fire off on the gas fumes.-iv never tried it.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I've heard lots of people talk about the gas rag trick. Could probably YouTube it.
I think I've even read where people argued to use mixed gas because it'll keep the cylinders lubbed. Lol Some peoples kids. Smh

sassyrel

Reaction score
I've heard lots of people talk about the gas rag trick. Could probably YouTube it.
I think I've even read where people argued to use mixed gas because it'll keep the cylinders lubbed. Lol Some peoples kids. Smh

really?? i believe im the only one,that spoke here, of putting 2 cyc gas mix in a 1 qt spray bottle,,and spray it in the intake while cranking.. works great,,the bit of oil,,only makes it a bit less explosive..has NOTHING to do with lubing the cylinders...will run on it,,when have changed a ip..had a pwrsmk,,that the starter was on its last leg..used this trick,,to get it started,,and keep running,,till the fuel bowl knocked out all the air bubbles,,and the injectors came clean..did NOT shut the truck off,,as it would have NEVER restarted....owner was a cheap azzz,,and ran the fuel out of the truck,,drying out the fuel bowl,,then tried to crank it farrrrrr too long........................does not BANG like ether....until youve had the experience,,maybe you shouldnt comment..capish??

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These were the Berus that I pulled out.

You must be registered for see images attach

They were in the truck when I bought it 4 years ago. I have put 40,000 miles on it. With the bad i.p. and old injectors, I had to regularly cycle 2-3 times to get the truck to start. Not the best for glow plugs, yet these were in good condition (don't mind the discoloration to much, PB blaster tends to do that cookoo) and look almost as good as the new ones I put in. :D

I consider this a very good case for using the Motorcraft/Beru plugs

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
I bought new GP's for my first IDI, I didn't know better and bought what ever came over the shelf. 6 months later, 6 of the 8 Beru's I pulled were back in the truck and only 2 of the X brand were left working. I then bought 2 new Beru's and the truck still lights off well two owners and 6 years later. This breakage is yet another reason to get the Motorcraft/Beru plugs.

Thank you for your post Ron, I am sure it was humbling to do so. I am also sure it was a hard lesson as your work load is usually through the roof and this is NOT what you wanted to add to the work load list.

sassyrel

Reaction score
These were the Berus that I pulled out.

You must be registered for see images attach

They were in the truck when I bought it 4 years ago. I have put 40,000 miles on it. With the bad i.p. and old injectors, I had to regularly cycle 2-3 times to get the truck to start. Not the best for glow plugs, yet these were in good condition (don't mind the discoloration to much, PB blaster tends to do that cookoo) and look almost as good as the new ones I put in. :D

I consider this a very good case for using the Motorcraft/Beru plugs

so long as the ohms resistance,,when they are cold,,is below 1.4..they are still good...

Dave 001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder if anyone has ever permanently rednecked a blow dryer to the cig lighter in the truck

Never did that but I did consider a generator to power the block heater when I was not near any electricity (like the parking lot at work). A 1000 watt Honda generator is very frugal on the gas but a 1000 watt heater would have it running at 100% load all the time. Move up to a 2000 watt generator and well now gas consumption starts getting heavy........Nothing is ever easy!

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Al I was really contemplating head removal as that head and valve prolly look like Swiss cheese at this point and I've got plenty of spare heads.
Compression test on that cylinder showed 420 psi. Better than the front two at 380.:dunno
Rolled the piston around in different positions with a strainer cloth on the manifold and the shop vac going. No rattling GP or any debris came out.
So now that rattling noise may be a smoked hot wheel on the turbo which is coming off now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online