Why we stress using Motocraft glow plugs

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Sassyrel- Sorry that you got offended/butthurt on what I said. I definitely wasn't talking about anyone here. I think it was a thread on psn or somewhere like that. I've never had that much trouble starting a psd. Just fill up the filter bowl, and bam, starts.

Back to glowplugs, on my 6.2 we have some AC 60g plugs available. Someone did a test giving them power for 24 hours and they still hadn't swollen. Needless to say, one day mine were left on for about 30 minutes driving time, they were still fine. Very good plug.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Could someone take one of those bore scope cameras down a injector hole to get a look inside?
I know you'd have to maneuver through the precup hole.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Most home depot stores and the like have that boreascpoe that looks into the walls kinda neeatly. I don't know if the camrea head will fit thru the injecter hole in the heads. Even if it did getting thru the precup opening probably wont happen. Best bet is remove the valve spring on the exhaust. have the piston at tdc. Then hand crank down the piston tillthe camera probe will fit thru the valve seat opening. Of course the exhaust manifold will need to be off that side of the engine. A test head would be the best idea of how har the valve can drop before it falls out of the guide and into the cylinder... If that happens... Well you in for more work no matter what you do..

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Back to glowplugs, on my 6.2 we have some AC 60g plugs available. Someone did a test giving them power for 24 hours and they still hadn't swollen. Needless to say, one day mine were left on for about 30 minutes driving time, they were still fine. Very good plug.
If you go to a manual push-button system, that might actually work better...and IIRC they fit the same hole, although I'm not 100% certain.

They won't work with a factory system, though...a 6.9l glow plug system won't keep them on long enough to get warm, and a 7.3l system measures glow plug resistance to determine how long they need to be cycled for, and the resistance on the 60g plugs is almost definitely going to be different enough to give the controller conniption fits. I have enough problems with the DIY wiring I did when I tried to retrofit the 7.3l system onto my truck :shocked:

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A few years ago I bought a bunch of diesel parts from a kid who was getting rid of them due to the fact he wanted to go big block gas. Lucky him! :)

Anyway, I bought a package of new Beru's off of him. Unfortunately only 9. I have to look closer to see what models, but they were spade tops and looked incredible. Any idea where I can get just 1?

I have an engine, a soon to be happy 6.9 that is going to be treated to a nice updating soon.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
If you go to a manual push-button system, that might actually work better...and IIRC they fit the same hole, although I'm not 100% certain.

They won't work with a factory system, though...a 6.9l glow plug system won't keep them on long enough to get warm, and a 7.3l system measures glow plug resistance to determine how long they need to be cycled for, and the resistance on the 60g plugs is almost definitely going to be different enough to give the controller conniption fits. I have enough problems with the DIY wiring I did when I tried to retrofit the 7.3l system onto my truck :shocked:
The ones on my chevy are manual. They take a little longer to heat, but it'll put any other diesel to shame when it comes to cold starts. That's of course without block heater. The cord was frayed when I put the engine in, so I just pulled it off. I'll have to compare them to a ford plug. I "think" they're the self limiting type.
Anyway, I bought a package of new Beru's off of him. Unfortunately only 9. I have to look closer to see what models, but they were spade tops and looked incredible. Any idea where I can get just 1?
Where did you find a ten cylinder idi????? :roflmao: hahahaha Had to man.
You can buy just one at the parts store.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, I know it was one short.

But a ten cylinder? It's going to take a while to learn how to mill that out, but it could possible be done

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Lol. I think you are missing where you accidentally said the box had 9 in it.
I was just pulling your leg though.
I get them from orielly's. I think $11.something a plug.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
For our idi engines the bullet top plugs are known as beru ZD9 and the spade top plugs are known as Z1A plugs.

sassyrel

Reaction score
Sassyrel- Sorry that you got offended/butthurt on what I said. I definitely wasn't talking about anyone here. I think it was a thread on psn or somewhere like that. I've never had that much trouble starting a psd. Just fill up the filter bowl, and bam, starts.
QUOTE] thats IF said dumb owner,,doesnt go down the road at 60,,and forget to switch the tank over,,and it runs dry......someday,,everyone will be as smart,,,,,,,,,

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dang Ron!

That really, really sucks man! Wish I was close enough to help you work on getting that tip out.

Heath

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Heath... There are a lot of us that would like to help Ron get his tip out... My GMM hand modeling experiance may be of some help but the distance and the cold are too much for these special hands. I can't reach out and touch Ron easily... We did have about an hour talk last week about this and other things... Nothing too touchy to discuss here...:angel:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance