Weird glow plug issues

94f350

Reaction score
So I took my truck on a 400 ish mile round trip this weekend and while I was driving it the cab would randomly get smoked out really bad but I just kept driving, at one point on the way back it did it REALLY bad and I noticed my wait to start light was on, I shut the key off (which doesn't kill the engine but that's a separate issue) and the smoke stopped, I drove the rest of the way home with no issues. When I got home, I tried to figure out what was going wrong so I flicked the key over to run, and smoke came pouring out of my glow plug relay. I've done some tinkering on it today and I noticed the hot wire going to the relay had 2 wire nuts holding it together. I replaced it with the proper connectors and plugged the wire back into my glow plug relay and my battery started sizzling really bad. Here I am now typing this. Has this happened to anyone else and how did you fix it? I've already got a new relay on the way but I don't want this to happen again so any feedback or info would be great, thanks.

Thomas87

Reaction score
Sounds like the relay may have shorted internally and is either hard grounding or holding the glow plugs constant on. Or both. First I would check you glow plugs and their wires. It may have toasted the glow plugs if it was stuck on for a while. Also check to see if the signal wire that tells the relay to activate is somehow getting power all the time, may be related to your ignition switch issue..

94f350

Reaction score
Sounds like the relay may have shorted internally and is either hard grounding or holding the glow plugs constant on. Or both. First I would check you glow plugs and their wires. It may have toasted the glow plugs if it was stuck on for a while. Also check to see if the signal wire that tells the relay to activate is somehow getting power all the time, may be related to your ignition switch issue..
I did just put in a new key cylinder do you think that could cause it?

Thomas87

Reaction score
Maybe in the ignition switch. But I'm now sure how the key cylinder could cause anything like that. Might need to take a multimeter and start testing wires for shorts and continuity

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online