Which cam?

93MTF350

Reaction score
Hi there! This is my first post here. I have a 93 F350 cc 5speed 4x4. It currently has a great running 6.9 with a later model 7.3 injector pump with the torque screw. I will be putting a 093 ats on it with R&D cross over, down pipe, and wicked wheel cartridge. As well as intercooler from a 7.3 or 6.0. Btw 4.10 gearing w/285's. My question. Which cam? Looking for 20 psi max. How about a J2 cam? And where can you get one? Will be occasionally be pulling up to 14k.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if youre just looking for extra oompth, I would work around the cam.
these engines have such tight clearances, epically(especially) in the valve to piston clearance department.
I would not be venturing into cam swaps until youre ready for a complete rebuild, and you can stack numbers and tolerances.
and verify it with machinists clay.

gamble if you must. but do your homework.

welcome to the site.
oah and allow me to remind you that posting on forums without pictures is utter and complete BS :)

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would not be venturing into cam swaps until youre ready for a complete rebuild, and you can stack numbers and tolerances.
I'd go even further and say to just plain push the valve recession spec about .030" out of spec and call it good.

I've got a Typ4 cam which I *still* haven't been able to get running*... I'm certain it's due to having valves replaced in the motors I tried it in and the people who did it evidently didn't understand 'recession spec'.

(*Note: I've actually checked the cam with a degree wheel, and it's to spec, so the cam is fine. But you definitely need extra clearance to run it)

Also, you want studs. Period. 6.9 studs can only handle perhaps 20 PSI peak, 7.3 studs can handle everything you can throw at the motor.

93MTF350

Reaction score
Yes there will be studs no doubt. But when running 65mph over 2000 rpm, wouldn't Type4's grind peak too soon?

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd go even further and say to just plain push the valve recession spec about .030" out of spec and call it good.

Do not push valve recession out of factory spec unless you want a couple 100lb boat anchors. Been there done that.
If you have to do that to prevent piston-valve contact, something else is going on. All too familiar with this topic unfortunately.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the typ4 cam in my truck. there are no issues that I have noticed. its hard to really feel the power difference but just putting around town it does seem to have a little more torque at lower RPM range.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hauling 14K... I'd go with the typ4 cam. Nice when getting all that weight moving and rolling through the gears. Once I'm cruising down the highway, I don't have any issues with it at all in the higher RPM range. I run 2000-2500 RPM running 70 or more.

If I were just gonna poke around town or just was looking for cool dyno numbers... look at another cam I guess. But, for hauling (what these trucks are designed to do), again, typ4.

Heath

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Russ aka typ4 will tell you best to run 910 springs and keep the valve recession correct. Also to insure the valves miss contacting the pistons we have many that mill 15 thousands off the top of every piston. Its been proven many times our stock running clearance between the piston and heads is about 40 thousands and... Our heads are flat. Add to this that our pistons pop up out of the cylinders as much as 31 thousands. So seeing all this you wonder how the piston never contacts the head.. Its the compressed thickness of the head gasket..Kind of scares most. But missing by a thousands is as good as missing by a mile too.

93MTF350

Reaction score
Is there any decompression gaskets other than the felpros. Or is there such a thing as shims? And btw thanks for everybodies replies so far.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I wouldn't think so if they're good quality. They would have the same amount of torque holding them down to the block. The fire ring around the cylinder would still have to compress between the head and block. That's what really keeps the compression in the cylinder.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will do a full article when I get home and run some more numbers.
Hydro, your cam is in an engine and running now with no issues, and by damn I don't know why.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance