Thoughts on Performance upgrades/direction/Cummins?

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nah buy a used one and delete it.

Little word of advice. Don't buy a dodge one. Buy an industrial version. Box truck... Rv... Small semi... Trust me, much better engine design. The 6.7 chrysler is NOT the same as a 6.7 used in medium duty semis.
I think I’d probably go 24 valve. Cr’s are awesome but to me the 24 valve is the last “old school” sounding cummins. Plus, just like the idi, it’s not everybody’s go to for power. But they’re great. My grandfather took delivery of his 2022 2500 with the 6.7 ho earlier this year. He absolutely loves it. He says he won’t mess with it until it gives him any issues then we will delete it. That stuff is getting very sketch out here in California though.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Yeah you gotta be careful there, eeeepa has been really cracking down on tuners for putting off road tunes in on road trucks.
Also note, the 24v dodge engines are still different than the industrial 24v engines. Again, better engines there too lol

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Either a 6.7 or a 24 valve. Electronics intrigue me. I like the tuning capabilities.
Interesting. I have an electronics, computer, electrical background... and after a couple of miserable 7.3 power strokes - I don't want any electronic diesels at all.

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting. I have an electronics, computer, electrical background... and after a couple of miserable 7.3 power strokes - I don't want any electronic diesels at all.
A vp44 is about as far as I have any desire to go unless it’s brand new truck. All I’d have to worry about with one of those is the pump electronics and then maybe a few sensors. None of that electric injectors and pumps and other Star Wars ****

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also know that, stock for stock, a N/A 7.3 will run circles around a 12v Cummins.

Limited experience here, so please know I am not starting a fight. That might be true near sea level, but up here at 7500 - 10k' my van runs out of breath on most hills. 4.10's. Stock Tires. I NEED a turbo :) Returns around 17 mpg locally.

My STOCK 24 Valve (NV-5600) happily putters along happily up any pass as long as I am around 1700 rpm empty. Below that and I down shift to direct. (3.55's and loud 33 MT's) returns right near the same 17 locally.

My neighbor has a 1996 12valve NV-4500, 4.10's, reg cab 4wd, 200k. Completely stock and he bought it new. He complains about the narrow power band. I told him I would trade :)

Honestly, if I lived near sea level, I am not sure I would yearn for a turbo as I found the van enjoyable to drive up to around 5k or a little more. On my last long trip CA to CO I felt power adequate up to Flagstaff, then I could feel power start to drop off.

If i were to chase a mechanical cummins, I would go after the VE.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Limited experience here, so please know I am not starting a fight. That might be true near sea level, but up here at 7500 - 10k' my van runs out of breath on most hills. 4.10's. Stock Tires. I NEED a turbo :) Returns around 17 mpg locally.
That is a good point that I had forgotten about. I'm about 2100' and don't mind mine until over 6000'. Of course that does depend on the grade.

Black dawg

Reaction score
That is a good point that I had forgotten about. I'm about 2100' and don't mind mine until over 6000'. Of course that does depend on the grade.
This is absolutely true here. Minimum elev is about 3500 with most mountain passes at 7k+. Lots of areas that are just above 6k.

When the "first gen" cummins trucks came out, it was an eye opener of what a diesel in a light pickup could do. Unloaded, yes they were slow, and at the lower elevations here an NA 7.3 was quite a bit quicker. ANY load and any elevation and it was a different story.

I still remember the first one that passed me. I was driving a 79 ford with a good running 460 pulling about 6500lbs, and letting it run on a pass near here. Here comes this dodge pulling a BIG and loaded goosneck horse trailer, couldnt even hear it when it went past me. CUMMINS TURBODIESEL badge on the side.....