Where to buy 16.5 tires

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
Where to buy 16.5 offroad mud or all terrain tires? Having a hard time findin any.

Koch13351

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know around where I'm at, there are a ton of people selling the military takeoffs. But those are 37s. Otherwise, I'd look at 4wheel parts. Interco still makes a good selection of 16.5 super swampers.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I would go the military take off route. Wheels and all. Seen a lot that have already been modified on clist and Facebook around me often.
2nd option for me would be getting away from a screwball size wheel. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What size? I had no trouble getting 33x12.50r16.5 BFG AT tires for mine ~2 years ago. Had them in stock at one of the local tire chains. (forget which one) 35-12.50 seems pretty common to find too, though not going to fit those without a lift. Not sure about smaller sizes, though I'd bet a decent tire shop could order them.

Also pretty easy to find 16" rims at least around here. Not uncommon to find a decent price on a set of good used mounted 16" tires, then you have the option of using a more common 16" tires when the used ones wear out.

Eli

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The difference between 16" and 16.5" is the bead angle, and the 16.5" bead angle fails a LOT off-road. They haven't been popular for years as a result.

Eli

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
My 2wd is running 33-12.50 so a size smaller but that is also a good size. Anyone used the military tires and will a 37" clear on a stock height 4x4 Dana 50?

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
16.5s are about extinct. I could not find any 10 years ago.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Someone here is actually running them. Can't remember who though. I think on a d60 truck though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The difference between 16" and 16.5" is the bead angle, and the 16.5" bead angle fails a LOT off-road. They haven't been popular for years as a result.

Eli

Yes, difference is the bead angle, but I disagree about 16.5 failing..... done quite a bit of off roading in some nasty terrain with my rig on 16.5's and never had any issues. If you're going to air them way down then it might be an issue, but any tubeless tire is prone to have issues at low pressure under load without bead locks. I air mine down some, probably 25-30 psi - never checked with a gauge I just eyeball how much they're bulging and use that to judge. Worked well so far...

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2wd is running 33-12.50 so a size smaller but that is also a good size. Anyone used the military tires and will a 37" clear on a stock height 4x4 Dana 50?

I don't think they will. I'm running 33's on a D44 truck stock and I don't have any clearance issue, but there's not much left for anything larger. Might be able to do 35 but I doubt 37's. Also would need to have the right backspacing - one set of 33x12.50r16.5 rims I had would rub when making tight turns. The set I have now doesn't, but it does stick the tires out far enough i really need fender flares.

Black dawg

Reaction score
Yes, difference is the bead angle, but I disagree about 16.5 failing..... done quite a bit of off roading in some nasty terrain with my rig on 16.5's and never had any issues. If you're going to air them way down then it might be an issue, but any tubeless tire is prone to have issues at low pressure under load without bead locks. I air mine down some, probably 25-30 psi - never checked with a gauge I just eyeball how much they're bulging and use that to judge. Worked well so far...

anything under 15 psi and they will fall off. Most any 15,16,17 with any bump on the wheel will take 10 easily, sometimes as low as 5.

16.5s have a well deserved poor reputation offroad because of this

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
I really like these rims but what's to point if I can't find any tires?I would really like to find some slots or turbine rims. Any suggestions on rims 16x10?

93banksidi

Reaction score
The issue is that military tires and other 16.5's don't buldge like normal 16's or 17's. I run 37 Goodyear mt's on my truck with a 4" lift(before and after D60 swap) and have a friend that runs them as well. Never had an issue running them at 15psi with my outlaw II wheels but have seen multiple popped beads from others without beadlocks, guess I've just been lucky. Stock of the military takeoffs is dwindling down with us using humvees only stateside or on base these days but I know of a couple guys in ca and az with a bunch

KZF250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My son used to work at Discount Tire Co and said they can order them sometimes...depends on the store. They have 16.5's listed in their search options but nothing came up when I looked. Might be worth calling them.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In my exp

.5 tyres with the bead design generally have a decent load rating..but dont air down or bulge much due to hd carcass.

Hiwever .5 tyres for say tsl or other mud or off road design do not have the zame load capacity.

If changing go 17 since they are becoming the norm.

Just my 16.5 cw