Where to begin? 7.3 IDI sitting for a year.

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
I might have missed it, but did you notice if the IP drive gear housing had been removed from the engine? If it was and they did the lazy man IP replacement without aligning the timing marks, you might be throwing snowballs in July before the truck fires.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just tested some brand new Injectors out of a parts truck that was a no start, It had been slugged with water in fuel as 6 of the 8 injectors were stuck due to corrosion, 2 sprayed at pop. Soooo, if it had any water in fuel make sure to get it flushed before the pump is toast, I fournd droplets of water in the injectors upon disassembly.

marmot

On the bench
Reaction score
No signs of water in the separator or in the fuel samples I took, lucky for me the truck was in one of the driest parts of the state.If I ever get fuel to the injectors I will worry about the spray pattern;Really The pump gear housing was not removed, the bolts are still covered in ****** guck. I am going to pick up a pressure gauge today and if the pressure is low I am going the facet pump route and be sure there is sufficient fuel pressure. If that doesn't work I guess I'm going to pull the pump top cover and have a look.

Last edited:

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya my drive made me glad I drive an f350 4x4,mud, ice, snow, slush, and wind it was genuinely bad driving. I thoroughly enjoyed it, except for the freeway sucked as usual.10 wrecks in 50miles. I am still stumped on the 93' IDI. I did not see any debris at all under the check valve. Just a nice shiny new surface and a shiny pin, still no fuel. I am going to check fuel pressure after work tomorrow to be sure the lift pump is producing enough pressure and not just flowing when open. And if the lift pump tests good I guess I am looking at pulling the injection pump top cover?

Hell yes. I was not diehard Ford or diehard diesel or any of that, but my truck continues to outperform my expectations even handicapped with a leaking IP and f'd up timing and 210k. And it goes to work every day with a 16' trailer and whatever I can throw in it or at it. I have more love for that damn truck than some of the women I've dated.

A lot of good suggestions... 79Jasper nailed it and you proved it. You either have a bad FSS or bad (or improperly installed) pump. Knuckledragger is on to something too. You already have lines off now would be the best time to check IP installation. Then, put everything back together and eliminate pump pressure, air intrusion, and the FSS.

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No signs of water in the separator or in the fuel samples I took, lucky for me the truck was in one of the driest parts of the state.If I ever get fuel to the injectors I will worry about the spray pattern;Really The pump gear housing was not removed, the bolts are still covered in ****** guck. I am going to pick up a pressure gauge today and if the pressure is low I am going the facet pump route and be sure there is sufficient fuel pressure. If that doesn't work I guess I'm going to pull the pump top cover and have a look.

You beat me to it! Alright, well you've already eliminated 1 cause. I'm trying to find more info on the FSS replacement, parts, etc. You're on the right track. Keep plugging away at it.

marmot

On the bench
Reaction score
Just checked the fuel pressure and it is under .5psi at the filter so I am going to buy a cheap lift pump and see if that fixes the problem. If it runs I will go for the facet later no sense throwing good money after bad.

marmot

On the bench
Reaction score
Well I just finished installing the new mechanical lift pump and then I looked in the box and saw the warning for the cam to be at the flat before install, arrrg. Don't worry it also took me 25min to get the rear bolt started. Is there really an issue with the arm breaking off due to the cam lobe position? Seems strange, of course the last time I replaced a mechanical fuel pump was in 1986 lol... I think I'll pull it in the morning and return it to NAPA and wait till friday for the block off plate and facet pump.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Now this is just my personal opinion, but to me it should be hard for even a idiot to get the arm on the wrong side. Now that's just me.
I know it's been done, and does happen. But with a little common sense and knowing what side of the lobe the arm goes on, it's idiot-proof.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
-cuss that back bolt! i installed a 1" stud was just enough to get it in position and tighten the front bolt, then the rear nut.

marmot

On the bench
Reaction score
Now this is just my personal opinion, but to me it should be hard for even a idiot to get the arm on the wrong side. Now that's just me.
I know it's been done, and does happen. But with a little common sense and knowing what side of the lobe the arm goes on, it's idiot-proof.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

Ya that's what I though seems like a no brainer, still I am not pulling the pan off an possibly running motor to fish out a crappy pump arm so off to napa it goes in the morning. I will be content to wait for the weekend and install a facet and pull fuel from a clean can to assess my IP health. I did look over the old mech pump when I pulled it and it seems to be in fine shape, so I will have to check on the state of the fuel lines. 20 degrees outside while I was working on the truck, my feet were frozen and I was PO'd at that damn rear bolt. The driveway is a sheet of ice and diesel and I did not feel like crawling under the truck one bit. I will take a look on saturday. Damn I wish I would have built a garage last summer. Thanks again for all the great advice, I need it.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
When Knuckledragger opened up his 6.9 he found 3 mechanicl lift pump arms in the oil pan...:eek::D No telling how much time was on that engine either with 3 broken pump arms in the pan. So it does happen. The pump will work but not for long. If you have only 1/2 a lb of fuel pressure before the filter I'm thinking the lift pump is bad or you have a suction issue. Looking back to the original sheep hearder saying to the shop it just quit running maybe it is just the bad lift pump. If so you sure stole a nice one.. Just get the sheep smell out of the cab. Buy plenty of baking soda and paper plates. Sprinkle the soda on the plates and lay them in the closed up cab. Its sure to absorb the stink. It does a great job in the refers and when the wifey lets her washed clothes dry in the washer it gets that stink out of them too. She just has to rewash them but in that wash load use plenty of backing soda. One day she went into the office wearing a blouse that barley smelled at home. But boy when she got home that nite even the cat sat up when she walked in thru the front door.... Horrible smell from body moisture activating that mildew stink...

marmot

On the bench
Reaction score
-cuss that back bolt! i installed a 1" stud was just enough to get it in position and tighten the front bolt, then the rear nut.

Dude you ain't kidding! I was getting colder and more pi$$ed off by the minute...finally I used a shorty ratchet with a knurled wheel and an extension all while standing on my head in the engine bay, my neighbors probably thought I was in the midst of marital dispute cause I was rattling off some real longshoremen's poetry. I have a facet pump on order at napa and I am going to be happy to install that block off plate. Judging by the new look of the pump I pulled I am guessing it might be a fuel pick up problem. I took the pressure reading at the schrader valve on the filter housing, it was well below .5psi even with 15 seconds of cranking.

Last edited:

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
every lift pump ive changed didnt look too bad. you cant judge a pump by its cover?

marmot

On the bench
Reaction score
When Knuckledragger opened up his 6.9 he found 3 mechanicl lift pump arms in the oil pan...:eek::D No telling how much time was on that engine either with 3 broken pump arms in the pan. So it does happen. The pump will work but not for long. If you have only 1/2 a lb of fuel pressure before the filter I'm thinking the lift pump is bad or you have a suction issue. Looking back to the original sheep hearder saying to the shop it just quit running maybe it is just the bad lift pump. If so you sure stole a nice one.. Just get the sheep smell out of the cab. Buy plenty of baking soda and paper plates. Sprinkle the soda on the plates and lay them in the closed up cab. Its sure to absorb the stink. It does a great job in the refers and when the wifey lets her washed clothes dry in the washer it gets that stink out of them too. She just has to rewash them but in that wash load use plenty of backing soda. One day she went into the office wearing a blouse that barley smelled at home. But boy when she got home that nite even the cat sat up when she walked in thru the front door.... Horrible smell from body moisture activating that mildew stink...

Ya it sure has a smell only a sheepherder could love, I spent a couple hours sucking sheep dog hair off the seats and carpet with a shop vac and it smells quite a bit better already. The dash was covered in a pad so there is velco tape on the dash but no cracks, it should clean up pretty good. I learned a cool trick for getting stink out of carpet and upholstery from a friend, if you take the baking soda and spread it out about a half inch deep on a cookie sheet or glass pan then bake it at 400f till it gets a really dull color, takes about 10-15 min. it becomes old fashioned washing soda. Mix it in water and a few drops of dish soap and it is unbelievable how it kills the stink, even the rotten milk and baby puke smell :puke:of my old truck was no match for it LOL. I bought a big bag of baking soda from costco last week just for this project.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle