Where to begin? 7.3 IDI sitting for a year.

marmot

On the bench
Reaction score
Yep I'm running a clear line and there is fuel flowing freely out of the line. I am stumped. The pump turns just fine, the internal parts look super clean and no fuel is arriving in the housing? I did try turning it over with the top cover off and the throttle on full and still no fuel?

marmot

On the bench
Reaction score
I pulled the brass inlet fittings an the dumb &*%$ at the shop had forced a cross treaded brass fitting together and spun off a long curl of brass, which was still in the brass 90, I guess the rest is now in my IP f-ing things up.:backoff-cuss I think there is an inlet filter tho no? I just reinstalled the pump with no lines on it and I'm getting a new inlet fitting from ace so I will try to bleed it one more time and then I am looking for a new IP I guess. At least I know how to pull an IP now. Anyone out there upgrade to a new moose pump and have a good old pump they'd like to get rid ofLOL

marmot

On the bench
Reaction score
Installed new inlet hardware and spun it a bunch with the cover off and the metering valve pushed open and moving back and forth and nothing, not a drop of fuel in the housing, none from the injector line fittings NADA, ZIP. Am I missing something here or is this pump toast? Seems like I should at least get SOME fuel in the housing with that much spinning. What the devil would cause a new pump to fail like this?

marmot

On the bench
Reaction score
The pump inlet screen is my bet. Remove the pump to get at the screen.

No problem with removing the pump it has the lines off of it currently and I have removed it twice today. What do I need to do to the pump to access the pump inlet screen? Thanks

Just found this thread with pics,

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?19541-dead-in-the-driveway

This is another item I found in my hunt for info
You must be registered for see images attach

So what wrench do I need to pull the inlet cone?

Also I was wondering if the correct inlet adaptor is a 5/16 male brass flare fitting or something else.

Last edited:

pastorjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been following this thread, and just wanted to say that looks like a great truck and that I am confident you will overcome these issues! Hang in there. ;)

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
Transfer Pump Inspection & bench bleeding

Is there a method for bench bleeding these pumps?

Yes, but before you do it, you can pull the transfer pump cover (bell shaped cover that the fuel enters into the IP) off to inspect the transfer pump blades.

Remove this screw. Some pumps have Torx some Allen screws. Don't lose the little o-ring.

3/4" wrench to spin the cover off. (Don't lose the o-ring) It will reveal the screen that pops onto the pressure regulator. Pull this off slowly and carefully. The regulator and screen should come off together. The regulator has a long pin that keeps everything aligned, so try not to move it around too much. You want the vanes and the circular part that they ride in to stay on the pump.

Once the regulator is off you can see the vanes of the transfer pump. You can check to see that they slide freely in the slots in the rotor. Be careful tho. The vanes have little springs forcing them apart. These springs know how to fly and they know how to roll too! If you need to pull the vanes out pull them out in pairs. Keep track of which vane goes in which slot. There is an upper set and a lower set. The vanes are the same, its just the way they are placed in the slots.

Do not touch the vanes with your fingers. Use Nitril or Latex gloves. Gently turn the rotor from the front of the pump to ensure the vanes are moving. You may want to make sure the vanes don't pop out. If you need to clean the vanes, use a mix of diesel and ATF. Assembly is the reverse of what you just did.

Here's how I bled mine before installing it:

Once everything is cleaned up and reassembled. Clamp the IP in a vice of some kind of fixture. Install the fuel inlet line so the line is pointing up. Fill the line with your mix of diesel and ATF. Spin the front of the rotor clockwise. The fuel in the line should go down. Refill the line, spin, repeat. Eventually, the pump will start filling up and hopefully the rotor will get harder to turn to the point where it starts cogging. You may/should get fuel spitting out the injector lines soon.

If/when you do, congratulations! You have just bench bled your injection pump. I left the top cover off mine and drew off some fuel with a gravy baster when it started to get too full. Spinning faster is better. You can see my filling bottle in the background (old dish soap bottle).

Remember everything needs to be surgically clean. The fuel goes thru a 6 micron filter for a reason. The clearances in the IP are that fine.

Good luck!

marmot

On the bench
Reaction score
Hey thank you BB I really appreciate the photos and advice. It is interesting but the inlet pump on this is really the same as the inlet pump on a high vacuum pump and I rebuilt several in grad school, my PI was a cheap skate of the old school.

marmot

On the bench
Reaction score
Well I pulled the end cap of the pump just now and the vanes, rotor, and stator of the inlet pump are shiny clean and move perfectly. the filter was clean like hardly a drop of diesel has flowed thru it cause it hasn't. I think the whole issue is the brass inlet fitting. The one the shop used is a 5/16 compression fitting that seats against the end of the of the regulator! The fitting I bought from ace does the same thingso fuel can not flow around the filter and into the inlet pump, I really think that could be the problem:rotflmao! I just spent 40hours trying to fix a 10 second problem. Does anyone know the correct fitting type or could you post a picture of the brass inlet fitting that threads into the end cap? I wonder if it has a ford part number...I'll start hunting. The pump is BRAND NEW so barring any stuck plungers farther inside this could be the solution.

The inlet pump sucks up fuel just fine without the fitting in the end cap.;Sweet

Last edited:

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just spent 40hours trying to fix a 10 second problem.

I would just go ahead and get used to that feeling. I have it every time I tackle a new problem on my truck. The good news is that if it ever happens again you will know exactly what to do.

marmot

On the bench
Reaction score
I would just go ahead and get used to that feeling. I have it every time I tackle a new problem on my truck. The good news is that if it ever happens again you will know exactly what to do.

Ya I am pretty stoked right now. Just did a full reassembly minus lines and cleaned up the valley and I am going to reinstall the pump and lines tomorrow. I need to find a 5/16 mpt to 1/4 mpt brass fitting for the end cap. Maybe I will saw off the compression

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The first picture in post #98 shows the fitting. I think it is probably a Stanadyne only part. When I got my pump from Mel it came without the fitting so I had to swap it out before returning my pump core. If I recall it had an O-ring between it and the pump. Maybe you can find one at a junk yard or a shop that rebuilds injection pumps. Do you have the hard line from the filter to the pump? Both ends of that line use "olives" to seal.

marmot

On the bench
Reaction score
The first picture BB posted shows the 1/4 mpt portion but not the 5/16 mpt fitting that threads into the IP end cap. I do not have the hard line or fitting so I am on the hunt, I will call the local scrap yard but they are pretty small and are more of a recycler than a parts yard. I am really impressed with how easy this truck is to work on it only took me 30min to pull the pump and remove the endcap of the pump. I do not have a garage right now so I put a piece of sheet rock over the foosball table in the rec room and covered it in news paper so I could keep the pump clean while opening it up. The whole house smelled of diesel for a bit but the news paper did a heck of a good job starting the woodstove.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online