Where to begin? 7.3 IDI sitting for a year.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
just saw that you have a facet pump, did you install it the right way? i dont mean to insult you, but ive done this and in the conditions youre working in, could very easily be installed bass akwards.

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
Don't give up just yet

marmot, I understand your frustration. Bleeding these fuel systems can take a long time. Especially if the new pump was not primed before it was put in. Just keep at it...crank, bleed...crank, bleed... check starter temp .

I would not put ATF in the fuel filter. Last time I tried that trick, after I fired it up (engine was already at operating temp) it ran for a while and died. I let it sit overnight, as recommended, but the next morning I had a ****** of a time starting it. It never started until the ATF started getting past the pump.

If it comes to the point where you are still not getting fuel to the injectors after another 1/2 hour. You may want to consider pulling the pump out and bench bleeding it. It has to come out if it's dead anyway. :dunno

Don't use ether if the engine is warm. Ether should only be used on cold engines. If you do use ether on a warm engine it will make horrible knocking noises and possibly damage your engine.

Last edited:

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i got a stupid question, did you take the hard line off of the filter to the lift pump?
does it have fuel coming out of there?
perhaps a bad lift pump???
would be pretty comical if they replaced a IP due to a bad lift pump........

Yeah, he mentioned fuel coming out at the filter head and "shooting like heck" into a can.

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, these mechanics installed all these new parts but didn't start the truck? Seems unlikely. Wouldn't they start it to pull it out of the garage? Hell, if you put a new pump and injectors on a truck wouldn't you want to fire it up?! Anyway, my point is it's possible they installed the pump wrong and f'ed it up.

Around here a junkyard will sell an IP for 40-50 bucks. If it gets to the point of throwing parts at it you can pick one up to test with at least.

marmot

On the bench
Reaction score
Remember to take breaks between cranking for the health of the starter and glow plugs. Clearly without making a change in the engine compartment there is no point in cranking the engine anyway. I am curious about the clear hose you have on there. Is it airtight? Did you try cranking with the stock metal line on? Do you have all the injector line nuts cracked at the injectors or at the pump? Is there fuel leaking from the pump? Underneath the pump into the pan?

Sounds like you're checking the obvious just be patient, you'll figure it out!

Ya I was doing 15 -20 seconds at a time with a break to let the starter and gp's rest. The hose is temporary and full of fuel no bubbles, it runs from the fuel filter outlet to the ip. I do not have significant leaking fuel just one small weep on the return line at the injection pump. All the lines are cracked at the injectors. Fuel was flowing from the clear line when the engine was cranked. Is there a minimum fuel pressure at the IP inlet?. I did not have a pressure gauge handy but I will check that too. I sprayed some wd40 in the intake and got it to fire a couple times so I think it will run If I can get it some fuel. I did end up with a sweet battery charger from the pawn shop that is computer controlled so my batteries are at 100% and tomorrow I will have plenty of cranking time.

marmot

On the bench
Reaction score
So, these mechanics installed all these new parts but didn't start the truck? Seems unlikely. Wouldn't they start it to pull it out of the garage? Hell, if you put a new pump and injectors on a truck wouldn't you want to fire it up?! Anyway, my point is it's possible they installed the pump wrong and f'ed it up.

Around here a junkyard will sell an IP for 40-50 bucks. If it gets to the point of throwing parts at it you can pick one up to test with at least.

The lady informed the shop I bought it from that she was not going to pay or so the shop owner told me. He said they dropped their tools and drug it out into the lot behind the shop. I do not think it was run because the right half of the injector lines were loose, the ip bolt cover was missing and the injector line clamps were sitting on the ip. I guess it could be a bad pump but I am not giving up quite yet. I did not buy the facet yet due to the mech pump looked pretty new and I wanted to be sure it at least turned over, which it does. If this is a bad ip I will have to have a look at the junkyard and see if I can find a used one. We'll see tomorrow.

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright! Nice score on the battery charger! Pressure at IP should be 5psi. I searched through old threads and other forums for a while but can't find any "a-ha's" regarding IP's not pumping fuel. There are only two possibilities that come up in my searches... 1. bad ip. 2. bad FSS. You would have fuel all over the place by now if you were just trying to get fuel from the ip to the injectors. Like I mentioned - don't waste time, energy, and wear and tear on components by cranking it to death. It isn't going to fix itself. Change something then test it (crank it), change something then test it. Be patient. Sleeping on it helps me sometimes. I will have 3 new ideas while laying in bed.

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The lady informed the shop I bought it from that she was not going to pay or so the shop owner told me. He said they dropped their tools and drug it out into the lot behind the shop. I do not think it was run because the right half of the injector lines were loose, the ip bolt cover was missing and the injector line clamps were sitting on the ip. I guess it could be a bad pump but I am not giving up quite yet. I did not buy the facet yet due to the mech pump looked pretty new and I wanted to be sure it at least turned over, which it does. If this is a bad ip I will have to have a look at the junkyard and see if I can find a used one. We'll see tomorrow.

No, I wouldn't give up yet either. You're on the right track. In my experience throwing parts at it has been an absolute last resort because these trucks have a way of gettin' by with what they got in 'em. This could be a long shot, but is there any way the injector lines could be clogged with something or rusted shut?

Welp, it's 130am here... Good luck. I'll check back tomorrow.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Well I don't really wanna go all the way back and check.
So to see if the FSS is working, remove the return line from the pump and see if fuel comes out with cranking/fuel pump running.
Actually I just went back and read, you haven't yet.
Ifn it isn't working right, will probably take forever to get the air out, if ever.
Also fix that little weep there, could be fighting all your progress with air intrusion.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

marmot

On the bench
Reaction score
Well I don't really wanna go all the way back and check.
So to see if the FSS is working, remove the return line from the pump and see if fuel comes out with cranking/fuel pump running.
Actually I just went back and read, you haven't yet.
Ifn it isn't working right, will probably take forever to get the air out, if ever.
Also fix that little weep there, could be fighting all your progress with air intrusion.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

I had my wife help me check that return line fitting this morning and there is NO fuel at the return line hose barb on the IP. Some fuel was flowing from the return fuel line from the injectors that attaches to the barb? I guess that could be the problem. Where do I go from here?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Remove the check valve on top of the injection pump return line fitting. Its a straight thread fitting in the aluminum housing with an o ring for seal. In the check valve is a spring and seat. Fuel will only flow OUT of the injection pump into the return line. Leave the ckeck valve off and crank the engine. Watch for fuel. I crank from under the hood by jumping the fender mount solenoid and holding the throttle wide open. Just remove the push pull connector from the solenoid and jump to the hot side of it.

marmot

On the bench
Reaction score
Well I have got to go bury a horse and meet the hay man so it'll have to wait till tonight. Thanks for your help fella's at least I have some hope that the pump might be good.

marmot

On the bench
Reaction score
Our hay is late due to snow so I pulled the check valve and still no fuel. there is a metal pin that is protruding from the small opening at the bottom of the well that the check valve inserts into. I will try and post a photo.

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Our hay is late due to snow so I pulled the check valve and still no fuel. there is a metal pin that is protruding from the small opening at the bottom of the well that the check valve inserts into. I will try and post a photo.

We got a frozen mess comin' in the am here... That pin is supposed to be there. Any debris? black pieces?

marmot

On the bench
Reaction score
Ya my drive made me glad I drive an f350 4x4,mud, ice, snow, slush, and wind it was genuinely bad driving. I thoroughly enjoyed it, except for the freeway sucked as usual.10 wrecks in 50miles. I am still stumped on the 93' IDI. I did not see any debris at all under the check valve. Just a nice shiny new surface and a shiny pin, still no fuel. I am going to check fuel pressure after work tomorrow to be sure the lift pump is producing enough pressure and not just flowing when open. And if the lift pump tests good I guess I am looking at pulling the injection pump top cover?

Last edited: