What Oil Do You Use?

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
What engine oil does everyone use and why? Is there any research anyone has done to sway their decision in oils one way or the other?:dunno I was using Motorcraft in my old engine because it would eat up Rotella WAY too fast.:rolleyes: This engine got filled with Castrol (I'm not a castrol fan) because it was on sale...I know, shame shame....everyone knows my name.:D

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
My 86 got rotella the 1st oil change I gave it. 1000 miles later it was down 8 QUARTS:eek::eek::eek:. I then switched to Valvoline and It doesnt use a drop between 3500mile oil changes

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Was delo for all of it's life. Recently been Rotella but have been noticing more oil consumption. Will go back to dell next.

I use to be able to go to Napa and buy a box with 6 2.5 gallon containers of delo. Nobody does that around here unfortunately.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I run Chevron Delo 40 15w40 oil. I tried the Motorcraft 15W40 once. It seemed fine. But I returned to what I like..

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
Valvoline heavy duty diesel 15W40 non-synth for me.

no reason really, it was what was on sale when i got my truck and it has since been on sale again, so i picked up some more.

Does not seem to eat the valvoline. i do loose some oil though b/c of the leaking valve cover gaskets (which i have fixed and no more leaks) and some moron put the wrong oil drain plug in the pan and f'ed up the threads in the pan. there is constantly a drip of oil on the drain plug. Thinking about puting a thin film of RTV around the outside of the plug where it meets the pan when i do my next oil change.

RANOVRU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rotella 15-40 for the 3 Ive done so far. Hadnt been able to find Motorcraft up until the last trip to pick up a quart of Rotella. They had 4-5 4qt jugs on the shelf. I may switch next go around.

She uses about .5-1qt between 3k mie changes but Ive aways been tod diesels use some oil. After all, the site is called oilbuners. ) (excuse the noob ignorance)

burtcheca

farmer/cabinetmaker
Reaction score
Whatever is on special for $10 a gallon. I change it every 3,000 miles and use 3 gallons and the FL1995 from Walmart ($10); around $40 + tax total cost. My engine does not eat much of any brand. I don't need to refill between changes, because by the time it takes me to put 3,000 miles, if it needs like 1 quart it's already getting an oil change. Any oil do get like thin after 1,000 miles, most of them.

Burt, a bitter clinging, SOB, barbarian at the gate, Florida *******, now investing in precious metals: lead.

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
Delo 400 - Costco sells 3 gallon packs for fair price.

Was using Catrol, but it burned through it and leaked through it quickly. Was pleasantly surprised when I switched to the Delo and it fixed 99% of my leaks.

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use castrol in mine but it sounds like there arent too many castrol fans around here.

sandrow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why do synthetic oils not work in diesels?If they did it would be much better for maintenance costs 10000 miles as opposed to 3000.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use delo, mobil and super tech from wally world, My engine consumed some rotella also, even when new and tried it again and still used a qyuart in 1k, others no use at all. I used a syn blend,Citgo, and it really liked that, little more hot pressure and stayed thick.

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
My 86 got rotella the 1st oil change I gave it. 1000 miles later it was down 8 QUARTS:eek::eek::eek:. I then switched to Valvoline and It doesnt use a drop between 3500mile oil changes

Really?

I use both Shell Rotella T and Valvoline in my IDI's, depends witch is on sell when I need some.

My 6.9 has always used 2 quarts per oil change interval (3000 miles).

Oil doesn't make a difference. I've never try any other brand than Rotella or Valvoline. Infact I just started using Rotella just 2 years ago.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online