What oil do you use?

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
First off,I know I am beating a dead horse,and I am sorry about that:sorry::backoff:bail.I have always used shell rotella in my diesel tractors and trucks,but I have heard a bunch of guys say that these IDI's burn threw it somethin' awful,and that any other brand is better.I have heard this a lot,and I have noticed in one of my trucks,it used a quart in under 100 miles:idiot:,so I am convinced that it is true,but would listen to your guy's experiences.

So,to bring on the question,what brand oil do you folks use?thanks

Rock

Greenie

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have only used Rotella since the early 1980's. I have never had any internal engine failures nor have I noticed consumption to be a problem. I used Rotella in my motorcycles too - starting with conventional T4 and then moving up to T6.

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
I use the t4 oil as well.There hasn't been any oil leaks on my motor,except for a little drip out of the valve covers,but I can't help but think I lost a quart of oil in 100 miles do to the oil being burned.I should have mentioned the truck only has 137k miles,and has no noticable blow by.

Rock

Randy Bush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have used Rotella 15-40 the most , but also use Car Quest brand also, on sale a fair amount. I have never had any problem with my IDIs burning through oil. I guess I would have to see it happening.

Philip1

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The idi burning rotella seems to be hit or miss. Some people's engines drink it as fast as they can pour it in, others have no issues at all. I personally run rotella myself and didn't seem to have any issues before my rebuild and I dont have enough miles to know after the rebuild.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mobil Delvac 15/40 for a ton of years.
For the past several years/changes Walmart 15/40

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Whatever is cheapest usually. At least that's what I did in my high mileage, oil thirsty F250 where I have to add oil so often.

I have Valvoline Premium Blue in my RV right now and in the low mileage (74k) original engine, oil consumption is pretty low. I might stick with that since it seems to come on sale every year around January-March at Tractor Supply and O'Reilly in the range of $10-15, depending on store/location. Tractor Supply especially, prices vary wildly even within the same state.

Napa has it on sale as of this post, for $13: https://www.napaonline.com/p/VSC773780

I put Tractor Supply's Traveler oil the F250 this last time, because a 4 gallon box (4x 1gal jugs) is dirt cheap, $33+tax: https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...sae-15w-40-diesel-engine-oil-1-gal-4-per-case

I am carrying the extra with me in the RV because it never hurts to have spare oil on hand. The F250 is the back yard being stored again, so it doesn't need it.

Last edited:

Steven Sochalski

Reaction score
I recall reading multiple article where the oil analysis showed Walmart Supertech tested better than Rotella. Thats what I run now.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I recall reading multiple article where the oil analysis showed Walmart Supertech tested better than Rotella. Thats what I run now.

The thing about store brands is.. the stores are just buying preexisting good oil off of various companies, not making it themselves. So if it meets the oil's listed specs, it's fine.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Shoot, I thought I was going to be the oddball here but you beat me to it. Supertech is what I run in all my vehicles, including the diesel. Of course I use the Supertech 15w-40 diesel oil. I also run the powerstroke oil filter, that is all they keep in stock at my store. But it fits.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online