2nd blown oil filter gasket and coolant mixing with oil? Help with isolating the causes?

SkylabTech86IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It`s always a krap shoot the parts you want aren`t there.
Pull as many parts as you can, one day you won`t be seeing these in the yards.
If you can, pull the whole engine if it turns over.
Can`t have too many parts.

Last one I saw was a 93 last fall. Pulled the GP`s and 2 cyl they were rusty, so blown HG or ?
saw lots of orange RTV on it.
Was picked over pretty good. But did get the Manifold, valley Pan, Rockers, push Rods, and both Ex manifolds. Didn`t think about the OC.

I pulled a 7.3 out of a 89 that wrecked. 25% off and out the yard was $341, w/o Alt., Starter, AC Compressor, Air Cleaner. I knew it was a driver at the time.

You can sign up on row 52 and put in what you are looking for, and they will notify you when it shows up.

Goat
I managed to grab the glowplug and harness, power steering pump, vacuum pump, belts, decent battery cables, valley pan (but ripped it), intake and net, air intake, misc brackets, water pump, and the oil cooler. And then the yard staff wanted to go home. All in all, not a bad run.

If I have time next weekend, I’ll run back up there to grab the heads and whatever else.

SkylabTech86IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Without reading all of this if you use the metal gaskets that's your problem they don't work. They had one job and could have made a stellar part and they screwed it up. That said I hope you didn't throw away your old cooler bundle that one's easily cleanable. I'm having custom thicker gaskets made for my oil cooler repair kits here's a link.
No metal gaskets used here. That seemed like a bad idea to me, because it didn’t feel like they would form a good seal. I’ve been using the silicone bead thick construction paper gaskets

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a very thin putty knife I used to slide around the Valley Pan to break the seal.
That metal is sure some thin stuff.
Also remember to remove the bolts across the front as I remember.

Grab the Exhaust Manifolds. Use a Saws All to cut the pipes off. When i got the one`s off the 93, someone had cut them already. Withe VC off I think it gave me more access. removed all Manifold Bolts from the top. Most were not very tight.

Be sure to keep all good bolts, there is always some you need later. I bring in Zip Lock Bags, and write on with a sharpie what/where they came from.

I even buy the Intake manifolds, have about 8. One of these days I want to haul an engine up to Justin, and I know he modifies them for his custom turbo`s etc...

Goat

SkylabTech86IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Likely Resolution: replace the oil cooler/rebuild.

With the Rain taking a pause today, I was able to get a final push and the Truck runs and drives now. Even got it up to 35mph.
You must be registered for see images attach

I Rigged a jerry can back up to the front to make it up to the gas station where I filled up the rear tank all the way full.

Fuel gauge is showing a full tank - awesome!

Once I got the truck home, I quickly hooked the fuel pump inlet line into the fuel tank line after the fuel selector valve and the truck stayed running for a good couple of minutes. I verified that the return fuel line was pushing fuel into the jerry can.

The oil looks good so far, as does the radiator coolant. All in all, I might have lucked out with using this junkyard oil cooler. No blown oil filter either.

The only problem now is the front oil cooler header is leaking oil so I’ve got to tighten that up or try another gasket. The oil drain plug is also leaking oil because threads are damaged.

The rain is back so going to have to wait until next weekend to drain and check the oil and coolant again.

Last edited:

SkylabTech86IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update: the bypass valve on the first header was stuck. The spring wouldn’t compress before now

So, as final closure: if you’re blowing oil filters, pull the oil cooler and check the that the pressure bypass valve located in the rear header is compressing

Hope this helps someone else

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update: the bypass valve on the first header was stuck. The spring wouldn’t compress before now

So, as final closure: if you’re blowing oil filters, pull the oil cooler and check the that the pressure bypass valve located in the rear header is compressing

Hope this helps someone else
Thank you so much for this: not that I'm having the issue, but someone will and this will be huge. And maybe they won't have to resort to the IDI special hand signal.........but we'll keep an eye out for them.....

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230414-171617.jpg
    Screenshot_20230414-171617.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 1

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Staff online