What Oil Do You Use?

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
So, i've been a Delo guy all my life, my dad ran Delo in his IDI, my granddad ran it in his cummins, I've ran it in every diesel truck I've had... But this last oil change came due and all I could get my hands on was Rotella. Went to 3 parts houses and couldn't find a single gallon of my old reliable oil... :dunno

So with a Wix p-stroke filter (same as always) and the usual three gallons of oil (rotella this time) I did my oil change. That was almost 4500 miles ago now. I change it every 5k because I run a bypass filter setup. Strange thing is that I have always, with every truck (including my curent truck,) had to add at least a couple quarts between changes when running Delo.

I have not put a single drop of oil into the engine in the last 4500 miles, it's down to about half way on the "FULL" zone on the stick. Why that is I really don't know. Plus side of that is I still have a couple quarts of Rotella in the jug for the next oil change. :D

FYI- All the generator contractors we work with run Valvoline Premium Blue in the big gensets. Cummins and Cat. I might try and get my hands on some of that next time.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I will know for sure if the rotella is the issue or not afte this oil change. I am going to buy a 5 gallon bucket of the old supertech stuff and run that when I change out this time. if the consumption slows or stops.....rotella will be considered a consumable to me...just like brake parts and GP's lol.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I've had opposite results...I switched to Delo because Rotella consumption was awful. My valve covers leak, but I have no noticeable exhaust oil smoke...If I run Rotella, I'll need to add a quart or two over the 3000 mile change interval (or time frame I feel like changing it in as I don't put a lot of miles on my truck). With Delo, I can go 3000 miles and rarely notice anything but a slight drop. I guess my 6.9 doesn't have a taste for Delo! lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes

Members online