What is the box under the driver's seat?

DNR0721

Reaction score
Purchased a 1992 F250 XLT Lariat and planning to use it as a donor truck. Started disassembling and when I took the seats out this box was under the seat and it had what looked like a computer cable connected to it, but it had been cut.

Anyone know what is?

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No picture if yiu tried adding one. but id guess amp with phone cable-Power adjustment being the cut 'computer' wire.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The factory never put any "box" under the seats. So any of the postings may well be what your looking at. Probably some type of amplifier.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I am not 100% sure what it was, but I do know on the Slantnose Gassers (80-86) there was a box located under the drivers seat, bolted to the floor. I was told once, long ago that was the "brain box / computer" for the truck. This is second hand information, but I know on our 83 F-150, there was a box bolted to the floor under the drivers seat, and our truck had the factory AM/FM radio with the single speaker in the center of the dash, so I do not believe it was an amp a stereo, and this was in the days BEFORE car phones......

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree, and I would love to take pictures, but the truck I am talking about was dismantled and used as parts in the mid-90's....... so not able to help on this one.

The gasser vans were the same way..... on the IDI vans, you can see the box for the blower motor out in the open, with a black plastic cover over it. On the gasser vans, there is a "computer" attached in front of the blower housing that has to be removed to access the blower housing.

Gasser with the square cover over the computer in the right lower dash - below dash, black square cover

You must be registered for see images attach

Diesel with Round cover over blower housing (No Computer) - below dash, black round cover (Thanks Jon)

You must be registered for see images attach