My '89 is dead, what's happened?

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those cables I thought were good weren't so good. I cut into the wire leading from the battery+ to the starter relay, and it was pretty cruddy. This may not have been the problem, but it was fixin' to be a problem.
You must be registered for see images attach

So I redid the cable ends, and replaced the piddly wire from battery to starter relay with a little chunk of #2, since that was handy.

I'll drive this to work this week and see how it's going. If I don't have more troubles I'll assume that wire was the problem.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those cables I thought were good weren't so good. I cut into the wire leading from the battery+ to the starter relay, and it was pretty cruddy. This may not have been the problem, but it was fixin' to be a problem.

So I redid the cable ends, and replaced the piddly wire from battery to starter relay with a little chunk of #2, since that was handy.

I'll drive this to work this week and see how it's going. If I don't have more troubles I'll assume that wire was the problem.
Good call....

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Plus, if your cables aren't allowing full current to flow to the starter it will likely burn out prematurely. It was expensive but I'm glad I made all new cables out of 2/0 and then #2 for a few grounds and charge wire. With new cables, new starter, and new battery the starter turned over so fast it startled people.

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have some wire in stock I'm planning on using to make up new cables for the red truck. If I ever get that finished I'll be able to give the brown truck a rest. Someday.

The cables from engine block to battery- and between battery+ are 2/0, the cable from passenger side battery+ to starter is 4/0. When the starter is drawing current the voltage drop is significant even with those heavy cables, I wouldn't go lighter.

I estimated that the passenger side battery provides ~2/3 of the energy for the starter, because of the 6 feet of 2/0 between the two batteries.

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
By the way, I got lucky on fleabay a while back and got a decent quality hydraulic crimper set used, with all the dies. I had been using a little hammer crimper that required laying the cable on the floor and pounding away with a hand sledge.

This was the first time I've used the hydraulic one for battery cables, and it's great. I was able to put new ends on the cables without removing them from the truck. I don't think I'd pay the new price for a set, they're spendy, but if you get a chance to get one cheap enough, you want it!