what is a good A/M electric fuel pump for a 6.9l?

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Forgive this question if it's been covered before... what is wrong with the stock mechanical lift pump? I'm on my 2nd mechanical lift pump on the 28 year old truck I bought new. The stock setup seems to be pretty reliable.
I replaced my mechanical with another mechanical and all is fine. Some go back to mechanical after issues with electric. Some use electric to just prime. Some love their electric. But I have not heard of many having issues with mechanical pumps outside of it died after years of use.

I personally want to fix to factory, some like to tinker or go custom. To each there own.

I try to fix my issues not over compensate for them. But in a jam you might find me adding a electric fuel pump to get me home from a long trip.:Thumbs Up

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll give another vote to the Holley Red pump. Been using one for long time, zero problems since installed.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I'll give another vote to the Holley Red pump. Been using one for long time, zero problems since installed.
For some reason, I did have a problem with it on my RV. The pressure was too high (5-7psi) and was throwing off the timing really badly. I couldn't get it over 55-60mph with the pedal to the floor. I had to buy and install a "dial" regulator and reduce the pressure by changing the dial setting. If I went too low it suffered, too high it also suffered. Got it to a setting that solved it. I had timing done a year ago at a shop that knows IDIs and I left the regulator since it runs fine still with it.

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am using a gm idi airtex brand e-pump and got a spare carter one as a backup, the airtex one has gone 13k mile without any issues over the past year. There is centrifugal, diaphragm and vane pumps, vane ones can cut fuel flow off and starve the ip when they die. I dont think a vane pump is the best choice but then again, the holley ones have metal vanes that are not likely to fail. I think the one I have is diaphragm type since can blow in it in one direction of flow and not the other way, I would have to rip one apart to know for sure. Kennedy makes a lift pump that is centrifugal and uses a d5 pump, these are common to find pumps and could stop by a place like micro center to get a replacement. Those are 4psi pump and would need two in series to get ~7psi, a pair of these works good on a duramax. I have been using one them d5 pump in the watercooling setup in my pc running 24/7 for 3 years, so I see that as a good option. Then again they are a bit high in price compared to the $30-40 ones I am using. At stock power the cheap ones seem just fine and if going for increased power, I would go for the Kennedy since know the pump durability.

You must be registered for see images attach

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
On the GM trucks, those E pumps sure made it easier (almost pleasant) to get the fuel system primed up after having it apart. Those earlier systems with mechanical pumps were a BEAR to prime. With the E pumps, I would just open the bleeder valve, put a drain pan under the bellhousing of the transmission, and use a pair of jumper wires to run the pump. When the fuel ran into the pan, remove the wires, plug the pump back in, and you're ready to try starting the engine.