What brand etc head gaskets?

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
I've come to terms that my valve stem seals dried out during its long hibernation, and now they are all breaking loose causing me to burn allot of oil. So I've come to terms that I've got to pull my heads and rebuild all the valve seals. So what gaskets are the best?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
You don't need to pull the heads just to replace the valve seals. All you need to do is make darn sure the pistons are at top dead center each cylinder you work on. But if you must pull the heads then its Felpro or nothing. They are far better than anything out there. Also they are around 74 or 76 thousands before compressing and are supposed to be around 10 thousands thicker than original gaskets. I just bought 2 from Northern Autoparts and they were $34.00 each and the valley pan was $55.00. This is who I buy from. They are really close to you also so shipping will be very low...

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Well its a low mile 83, and I'm thinking before i turbo it I should make darn sure its got new head gaskets in it.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Felpro has always been my personal choice and have never let me down ever. I have heard good things about Victor Reinz but I just don't need to change at this time. I once felt the Goodyear Marathon SP trailer tires were the best too but then I started throwing tread way to often. Seems they were having "some manufacturing problems".... So after loosing about 7 tires I changed brands and have never looked back..... Goodyears will never be on any of my trailers again. My truck maybe but not anything else. I had a set on my 89 %th wheel rv for years till the sidewalls left me. Then the new tires from Goodyear fell apart. Kinda funny too. The "other site" in the trailering and hauling section told me all this information so I passed it on to all... But I did live this out so I know it was true... Facts speak volumes...

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have corteco gaskets in mine, so far so good.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's wrong with OEM? I've got IH ones on mine and they haven't given me any trouble either.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
FelPro - They do one thing, and only one thing from R&D to final product. Not to mention, they have the OEM available to research and make a better product, and then sell them for about half OEM!

Sold them and used them for 25 or so years. Don't ever remember a failure. We had to replace few sets of Victor, but it was just one part number, for the 3.8 Buick motors. Victor knew of the problem and had no issues about warranty of the gaskets, but didnt' cover any thing else, labor, "other" gaskets needed to change the failed head gaskets, etc.

adam g

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like fel pro too. In the shop we do a pile of gm intake gaskets. Fel pro is the only company who has worked to solve the frequent gasket failure with their problem solvers. Now instead of doing intakes every 2 years they are fixed for good. It speaks well for them.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I have corteco gaskets in mine, so far so good.

I've been curious about those things for a while. Never seen them around here. What do you think of their head gasket coating? Does it look and feel like it's all that it's cracked up to be?
What type of valve stem seals did their set come with ?

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For that matter what is the real difference between the "Positive" 7.3 style valve stem seals and the 6.9 style? Can the 6.9 umbrella type still be bought new anywhere?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
For that matter what is the real difference between the "Positive" 7.3 style valve stem seals and the 6.9 style? Can the 6.9 umbrella type still be bought new anywhere?

All the Felpro sets come with the umbrella type exhaust seals as far as I know( at least the ones I've bought ).
I'd like to go with the positive seals all around while I have my engine apart, yeah, I know the theory behind the extra oil consumption saving exhaust valves, but i plan on using synthetic, so, I'm not too worried about it, I'd rather not be using that extra oil. What little synthetic makes it past the positive seals will be fine ;Sweet
So far as I know Reinz has the positive valve seal all around set. Don't know about Corteco.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The Felpro valve seals have worked fine for me. The white exhaust seals don't fit on the valve guide but they are fitted to the spring retainer. The black intake seals fit on the head valve guides. Sometimes they are tuff to install. Especially if you have some grease or oil on your gloved hands. I always use white surgical gloves. They tell me when things are clean or dirty...:D

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FelPro - They do one thing, and only one thing from R&D to final product. Not to mention, they have the OEM available to research and make a better product, and then sell them for about half OEM!

Well I would agree with that thinking except... I can tell you this. Armstrong (the same folks who bring you the flooring) has an OEM gasket department. I used to service the computers there. They have a team of engineers, and a dyno and test stand and all they do is develop OEM gaskets for Catapiliar, Cummins, and who knows who else. So by that thinking, OEM gaskets are being made to the same standards, albeit there are extra layers of monetary exchange. In fact, the OEM gasket makers are building those gaskets for specific engines and testing them to death on those same engines. I doubt a company that makes hundreds of different kinds can devote that kind of attention.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Well I would agree with that thinking except... I can tell you this. Armstrong (the same folks who bring you the flooring) has an OEM gasket department. I used to service the computers there. They have a team of engineers, and a dyno and test stand and all they do is develop OEM gaskets for Catapiliar, Cummins, and who knows who else. So by that thinking, OEM gaskets are being made to the same standards, albeit there are extra layers of monetary exchange. In fact, the OEM gasket makers are building those gaskets for specific engines and testing them to death on those same engines. I doubt a company that makes hundreds of different kinds can devote that kind of attention.

Take a visit to a FelPro plant, you will be suprised! :) Been there, done that as well as visits to many OEM manufacturing plants and test facilities especially Ford as that is who the main customer of my father's employer was and he was a QC manager trying to figure out the flaws! Once an OEM manufacturer has a product, they are reluctant to re-tool. FelPro is constantly looking to make a better product, that is their name sake. But I guess we will just have to agree to disagree as per usual on OEM versus aftermarket. I won't buy anything OEM if aftermarket is available, that goes for any brand of OEM too, not just Ford. Still running that Stant thermostat too! :) Two years and going strong! ;Sweet

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle