Was I almost right the first time?

Chuckdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had to pull my head cause of a dropped gp, and its back together but I am trying to figure out what is going on I could not take alignment pics cause I could not see,but I had put the ip gear Y in between the two copper colored teeth I think but it cranked stumbled then fired up and died right away with a puff of white smoke out the intake. I thought it was maybe off 180 so I re aligned the balancer one turn with the O mark on the metal thing. put the pump back and now it just cranks. Theres no stumbling just lots of unburnt diesel fumes coming out of the intake as I crank, so I think I had the right stroke the first time but was maybe off a tooth one way or the other. What do yall think

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you were not making the best decision to pull the gear tower to change headgaskets. cookoo

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
I think you were not making the best decision to pull the gear tower to change headgaskets. cookoo

ouch.....either way it sounds like it is 180 out. there was most likely air in the lines that needed worked out and sounds like it will need re-timed now also which can make it a little harder to start.

Chuckdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well this was not a planned event. I had a glowplug drop into the #5 cylinder in my buddies driveway when I was changing them. We took off the pump injector lines and oil fill housing all in one piece to get the intake off. So..... Thats why I an having a time trying to get my truck to live again. All I want to know is if I am a tooth off could that be why it started and puffed then died.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
they will run if they are 1 tooth off. trust me we've done it. Ran one for over a month like that a few years ago. It'll pop and run like crap, but it will run. So I'd say you've got it 180 out.

jtate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
some say it cant be done, but it worked for me. go to your prefered autopart store and get one of those flat mirrors that come on a telescopic (looks like a pen) tool. you can slip it in between the block and the cam gear to see the marks. you just have to look real close to see the marks and i also used a flashlight. once i located the marks on the teeth i took a red magic marker and colored both the teeth red. hope this helps.