Virtual BOOB bone yard

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
I have an idea, but I’m not sure if it’s a good one or not. So I thought I would bounce it off the board. What about a virtual BOOB bone yard? I was looking through my garage this weekend and I realized I had a bunch of IDI stuff, that would prolly be usefully to someone, but at the same time, I’ll prolly never use it. And while this stuff has some value, it certainly doesn’t have enough value to sell it on ebay or anything.

So I got to thinking. What if we had a virtual BOOB bone yard? Basically a thread where we could post pictures of stuff that we don’t need anymore, but can’t bring ourselves to throw it away.

We could even have some ground rules like: (just ideas at this point)

For the stuff havers:

Only post stuff that you are truly willing to part with. :backoff
Only post stuff if you can provide a pic.
No for sale items allowed, only freebies. If its actually worth money to you, that’s what ebay is for. :rolleyes:
Be willing to pack and ship your items when you have a taker and he or she has paid for shipping and packing. ;Sweet
Once it is spoken for, pull down the item. ;Really

For the stuff takers:

Must have a certain number of OB.net posts. (just an idea, like 20 or something?) ;)
Only take it if you really need it, the purpose wouldn’t be for a few greedy folks to hog all the good stuff. :draw
Perhaps some sort of an exchange rate, if you take one you have to post one, or maybe even two. ;Sweet
You’re taking it, so you have to pay for shipping. :rolleyes:

I dunno. I can see some problems with this. And I can see how it may be a nightmare to try and keep folks honest. But at the same time I believe we are a pretty honest group of folks. And wow, I can see some real advantages to something like this. I mean, if your down on your luck, not much cash and your water pump lets go. Maybe someone has a good used one, that still works, but was to old and unknown to go back on a fresh rebuild.

For some of the heavier items, we may even be able to work out a BOOB freight program. (15 guys move a part 30 miles each to get it to the needy BOOB man)

Anyhow, what are your thoughts guys? Good idea bad idea? Already been tried?

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the idea!

I don't have as much to offer as I have stuff I need :) but there are a few things here I don't need that would be of value to someone else...

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rob,

As an outsider looking in, that is one helluva cool idea!!!!!!!

Mike

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
TDR does that... they call it a Pay it forward deal - no restrictions on post count because you have have made your posts in the GGG section and never made a post in the tech forums but still be in need of said item.

It works really well on TDR have even seen complete vehicles up for grabs - you know the classic line - wife wants it gone NOW and he is po'd over it so he GIVES it away just to prove a point... hee hee...

I think it could work here as well - heck would like to see it for all users... Never know maybe the PSD boys will want to give away stuff. Remember some of their body parts will work on IDI's and the other way around...

So what does management say?... I would suggest that a new section be set up that covers for all parts (Ford Chevy and Dodge) and if it's put up for give away it's known that shipping is to be paid by reciever and if you try and sell it in the "Free for all" forum that the poster gets clobbered, drug out in the street and shown "what's what" :backoff :draw .

As I said it works pretty good on TDR so I don't see why it wouldn't work here... We're all adults here - well some of us are... ;p

LUCKY_LARUE60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think that would be a great idea, as I don't have many or any spare parts laying around I would be more of a taker than a giver, anywho that great :thumbsup: ............. Jim

DBogo

Reaction score
thats a good idea but it should be for all diesels TDR has a thing like that its called "pay it foward" only free stuff in there but they dont have pics of it and thats inconvinent so if you did a "freebie" thread for all diesel trucks that would be really good theres prolly quite a few people out there that have things that they dont want that may be useful to other people

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I support the idea. I'll take it to the staff meeting and see what they say. ;Sweet

dozer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the idea. I'll add two observations;

1- Pics are a real problem for those of us on slow dial-up modems. They don't even -have- DSL where I am. One pic ain't bad...two is OK....but 30 posts with a pic with every one? That's a 15 minute page-load!

If only the board software was flexible enough to let a user set "display pics?" on or off -per forum-, instead of globally....man, that'd be great.

2- I'm wondering about automatic time-out/delete. What do you guys think about a posting going away automatically after 60 days, or 90, or whatever ?? I know I like that a lot on for-sale ads. Nice to have 'em go away on their own...

whups! thought of a 3rd one...

3- LOCATION! INSIST on people including their location in every post. There's nothing quite so frustrating as for-sale posts for heavy items where the guy didn't include what freaking STATE the darn thing's in... :D

Mojave Red

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love the idea. ...just thought I'd get that in there so I'll have the post count to qualify as a "getter."

I have a few odd and ends laying around too.

Brian

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
Cool, lots of other good Ideas, and a lot of support for the idea in general.

OK Mel, I guess we'll see what you come back with. And let me know if I can help with next steps

tuckerd1

WAR DAMN EAGLE!
Reaction score
Sounds good to me! Of course I wear stuff out then toss it! Maybe I can contribute someway

Don

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
I have alot of van stuff i can put up, i'm just too lazy to put it on ebay, maybe someone will want the stuff on here tho.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online