valve cover removal super duty 350 van

dieseloreo

Reaction score
OK all. I work for an ambulance service in columbus ohio and we have a brand new 6.0l powerstroke e350 superduty VAN!! . Latest envolvement is that the van broke down right after the 37,000 mile waranty (how amazing). We have got the diagnosis down to the injectors which are under the valve covers. I have torn the engine down enough to get to the valve covers. Here is where the problem is ----- How do you get the valve covers out of there, there is not enough room to pull the valve covers off, i got the bolts loose. The engine is just entirely to large, can the engine be dropped down, what gives? On a truck you just pop the hood and there you go - on a van you have to remove anything attached to the front of the engine just to get the valve covers, then when you get them loose you cant even remove them due to the restaints of the cab. PLEASE HELP?

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
pull the doghouse out.with the doghouse out you shouldnt haveto even open the hood.or did ford do away with the doghouse on the newer vans?

BlackMamaba

Window Licker
Reaction score
Last time I remember working at American Medica lResponse we had to always lift the cab up a little bit. It is a pain in the butt but gets the job done.

jdw7.3

Reaction score
what year van is it? I thought the warranty on the diesel was good for 100K

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
seperate body from frame. done that job twice. will never do one again. engine warranty should be good for 100k as long as no go-fast goodies have been installed. I really doubt that you would have done that to a "bus" :D

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ford says motor moints need to be unbolted...cab is a bit more difficult and still doesnt really net you the room, i gotta start on a van tomorow, same deal, front two injectos #1,2 so i may run into the same issue

RKOCH

Fellow Oil Burner
Reaction score
The problem is on a van there is no room to work, that is why we lift the cab. I can bust the cab loose faster than most people cab get the enging mounts loose.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
tbirdfiend281 said:
i know...im just saying that is what ford tells you to do, im an agreement it is dumb
Not "dumb"....the bean counters don't want the pay the book hours for lifting a body. cookoo

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i know that, witch is dumb, its screwing the people that make the product work properly, witch IMO is dumb, but hey i cant complain when i got flate rate im gonna stick it to my dealer real bad in pay so the time i make wont be to much of an issue

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
tbirdfiend281 said:
i know that, witch is dumb, its screwing the people that make the product work properly, witch IMO is dumb, but hey i cant complain when i got flate rate im gonna stick it to my dealer real bad in pay so the time i make wont be to much of an issue
Don't know how you got your system worked out at the dealer, but if you're not putting out 140% of production(book time), you're getting screwed. The tech never wins against corporate.

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
but im saying i will win if they pay me a crazy high hourly rate (like for the hours i make at X amount of dollars) that and they have a system that increases your pay with how many hours you clear....and they have to make profit thats why they screw the tech...ford diesel work, should be, hourly, book screws you on alot of things