Timing cover removal in truck

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My front main is leaking, or something on the timing cover I’m sure of it I just cleaned everything and sure enough

what is the bare minimum I have to remove clearance wise? I just put this engine in so I’d be annoyed if the core support had to come out again

Of course it didn’t leak a drop testing this motor out…

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Water pump and balancer. You may be able to sneak it out off the oil pan, but I've always had the pan off when messing with them.

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Water pump and balancer. You may be able to sneak it out off the oil pan, but I've always had the pan off when messing with them.
Yea I’ve done wp’s in truck but never the harmonic,
I presume pan sealing is just like the rear main

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the hardest part of the job is taking the IP gear cover off without losing timing.
i usually set the engine with #1 at TDC. leave the IP and gear alone
but use a long threaded bolt to lock the gear down to the case before removing it

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
the hardest part of the job is taking the IP gear cover off without losing timing.
i usually set the engine with #1 at TDC. leave the IP and gear alone
but use a long threaded bolt to lock the gear down to the case before removing it
You don't have to remove it to get the front engine cover off.

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You don't have to remove it to get the front engine cover off.
really! That’s great news I thought that was the case but everything I read said you have to, have you done this in the truck before?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
You can, but you'll have to remove more. There's alternator pivot bracket on the passenger's side, and the big plate on the driver's side that both bolt to the water pump. Those have to come off before it can be removed. Be very careful while working that close to your radiator. One slip can cause a leak. It's tight to remove the balancer, but it can be done with the radiator in place too.

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, should I use the 2 gaskets for the cover to the block or rtv all the way around?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
really! That’s great news I thought that was the case but everything I read said you have to, have you done this in the truck before?
Yes I have. I've replaced front engine covers in frame before. You'll have to gently pry out on the bottom of the front engine cover, but the IP gear housing can stay in place. When you put the front engine cover back on, you'll want to slide the top of it into the groove in the IP gear housing first. That's the only way that you can get it all back into place. Of course clean that groove out the best that you can and use new RTV or other sealant in that groove.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Thank you. It's not easy to do, but it is easier than trying to pull the engine. One more piece of advice. After you get the job done and you're sure that you don't gave any leaks, plan to do an oil change shortly, That's just in case you happened to drop some grease, old gasket material, Etc. into your oil pan. It will end up in your oil filter and that should be changed soon. I know that you'll do everything that you can to keep stuff out, but accidents can happen. You might not even see it happen. The oil change part is just my opinion, but it's what I'd do.

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a spare timing cover so I’m decided to press the new seal and tack up the gaskets now
I now have a press so this is my first time using it for a seal makes me feel a lot better than hammering them in

Attachments

• IMG_9480.jpeg
    IMG_9480.jpeg
    454.2 KB · Views: 19

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Man I wonder where that came from lol
I siliconed the two paper gaskets when I had my old man's engine apart. So far no leaks still.