Using RTV on cold metal

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have my front carrier removed from the housing, gonna "regoop" it and reinstall.
Problem is my garage is cold most of the time and my heater isn't big enough to warm the entire garage.
Obviously the carrier is cold also, question is will putting RTV, which is warm, not seal as well???
Or is there a different product that would work better in this situation??(The Right Stuff, etc)
Thanks all.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it will stick just as good. allow it to tack up before install

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
When I get home I will look at the brand of RTV I have, I do know its a rubber RTV sealant, high temp, also black in color, stuff is AWESOME! I have used it when working on my truck outside in the cold, never had it not seal anything.

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RTV stands for Room Temperature Vulcanizing.... There is a temp range given on the box, I seem to recall.

That might give you better answers than I can about how it might preform.

FoolhardyIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Temperature range -75°F to 450°F (-59°C to 232°C) continuous, 500°F (260°C) This is for The Right Stuff. Of course this is not the temp at which to apply it at.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RTV stands for Room Temperature Vulcanizing.... There is a temp range given on the box, I seem to recall.

That might give you better answers than I can about how it might preform.

I did not know that it meant that, nice.
I think I'm ok, just wanted to check if anyone had a horror story about any stuff not working...

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It always works better for me, no matter what the application or the temperature, if I let it sit most of the day or overnight before I put the oil against it.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah i got some of that permatex black rtv. was pleasantly surprised it came out of the tube just as well at 0F as it does at 70F. tacked and sealed fine for me at 0

Black dawg

Reaction score
What I have been told, from people who should know, is that humidity affects the set up time more than anything. I have noticed in my shop, that sometimes it takes way longer than others to set up, at the same temp every day.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The absolute most critical thing is surface prep...it has to be surgically clean, no oil residue or contaminants what so ever

small bead is yer friend you don't want ton's of ****** berries!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grizzly Wrecker