**UPDATE** FP DIESEL GASKET SET

kcwright1979

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So today I received my gasket kit
You must be registered for see images attach
and my thoughts on it are the head gasket is built excellent.
has the International part # stamped in it (wonder if this is where they get them form. The head gaskets measure 0.086 thousands of a inch (don't know how thick other gaskets are) and the kit included everything to complete the top end even the valley pan.
. Hopefully I will get my heads back from the shop soon and get her put back together.

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
Those look like the head gaskets I pulled off mine. Same graphite material by the looks of it. Who is the manufacturer of those? International?

stealth13777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They're federal mogul just the top end stuff correct? I see that on the box. Would explain the fel pro gasket maker. I like the made in rubber seals in the corners for coolant better than my fel pro gaskets, which had a 'press in' rubber piece with small holes in it. These look nicer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Looks like an international part number but nice quality gasket just the same...

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FP is Federal Mogul. FelPro is Federal Mogul. Has someone directly compared a current production FP gasket and a current production FelPro gasket? Doesn't seem logical for Federal Mogul to make two sets of gaskets for the same application. Not impossible, though, and if they are different, they probably both are made in the same factory, just to different specs. Then the question becomes, "Which is better?" It could also be that this is old stock from when FP was it's own entity. Or, it's current production FelPro.

Here is a pic of the Fel Pro head gasket I used on my overhaul in '09. It has the rubber around the holes. Obviously, mine is a 6.9L gasket and the one here is a 7.3.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just a side note of curious trivia if your interested. Back in the 80's and early 90's I ran computer field service, and one of my customers was Armstrong World Industries. Those of you who know flooring and ceiling tile recognize Armstrong as one of the leaders in those products. They had several plants in Lancaster county as well as all over the world. At that time, at their R&D facility on Columbia Avenue in Lancaster, they had a little building out back with an engine dyno in it. I serviced the dyno computer a number of times over the years, and learned that Armstrong made a lot of head gaskets for Cummins, Felpro and other companies. Cummins would send them whole engines to test their gaskets in, and they pushed those motors hard. Armstrong made that stuff, because they were experts in working with fibrous laminated materials. Today all that stuff, and several of the plants are gone. Ms. Smith's Pies used to make aluminum magnetic shields for RCA, that got put in television picture tubes, because Ms. Smiths was an expert at forming aluminum.... for pie plates. We give a lot of credence to the companies who's names go on products, but often don't get to know the truth behind where they come from. We would feel differently if we felt we were driving around with a piece of linoleum sealing up our blocks, but the reality is not far from the truth. This doesn't make a hill of beans difference, but the companies who supply the raw materials for a lot of things come into play also. We have our favorite brands, but must remember that there is a lot of sometimes seemingly unrelated science behind a lot of what we use and purchase. We like those brands perhaps, because they look out for our best interests and try to bring us the best product for the money, and the only difference may be the quality control or the packaging, or the customer service.

stealth13777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FP is Federal Mogul. FelPro is Federal Mogul. Has someone directly compared a current production FP gasket and a current production FelPro gasket? Doesn't seem logical for Federal Mogul to make two sets of gaskets for the same application. Not impossible, though, and if they are different, they probably both are made in the same factory, just to different specs. Then the question becomes, "Which is better?" It could also be that this is old stock from when FP was it's own entity. Or, it's current production FelPro.

Here is a pic of the Fel Pro head gasket I used on my overhaul in '09. It has the rubber around the holes. Obviously, mine is a 6.9L gasket and the one here is a 7.3.

I wish I had taken a picture of mine. They were different

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kcwright1979

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The head gaskets I pulled from my engine were metal with some type of orange sealant around all the passages, I pulled the heads for the simple fact that someone used autolites and had one swell up and stuck in the head. Its a good thing I did the #7 cylinder ate a glow plug didnt do any real damage just dinged up the piston a little and pitted the exhaust valve. Prechambers were cracked past the fire ring (Thank you Diesel Cast in MN for new pre chambers) The FP gaskets come with a 24 month warranty vs Fel Pro's 12 month. Does anyone know what the thickness of the Fel Pro gasket is?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I recall the fp was around 80 thousands thick. Measuring the compressed thickness was very difficult. I think I got about 6 thousands crush. But its been too many years ago. I recall posting the numbers so do a search. I know its posted here somewhere.

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My new 2009 era FelPro 6.9L gasket was 0.074" on the body (the important measurement), 0.089" on the fire ring. The '90s era FelPro gasket I removed measured 0.064" on the body, which would be close to compressed thickness. They do expand a little when removed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel