Ummm,how do I break the news.....Gulp

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
Ok,guess I better get this outta the way now instead of later.Remember what I said at the Rally Mel?Looks like I am gonna do it.One of my Rigs is going 6 banger of the inline type.Converting White Lightning over to a CTD.Sorry,Turned my Biased switch off and really sat down and though about it and came to the conclusion a Cummins would be the best thing for her.Will cost about the same to convert over with a used low miles engine as a total 7.3L rebuild.Plus,This way I can play wiht both the IDI(Enterprise-Still getting and always will keep an IDI) and the 5.9L 12 valve.

This is gonna get UGLY!>Running for cover!< :draw

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
John, I'm real sorry that you didn't get the E to the rally. I figure you had a year to get it ready, and I hear that you have more IDI parts than Ford probably does at this point. So putting a Cummins in your stable makes perfect sense to me. cookoo

hoodshauler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1 Thing at a time

Jonathan:
get one thing running before moving on to something else. Just my 2 cents worth

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Will cost about the same to convert over with a used low miles engine as a total 7.3L rebuild.

I havent heard of many Cummins Conversions that that get done for under $10,000.00 after buying all of the adapters needed, then if you have 4:10's you should change the gear ratio. Sounds like finding a good used IDI would make a lot more sence.

I have to admit, after riding in Travis' Hot Rod Cummins, I looked into it myself, Heck If I wanted to do it I have a 96 D3500 with a Cummins sitting in front of my house as we type, that I have about $1500.00 into, I could use that truck for the doner, but I won't do it. If I really want (notice I said Want, not NEED) that kind of power I would convert it over to a PSD and hop it up, but that prolly won't happen either.

Anyway, good luck with the conversion, and keep us posted, but like BJ said, get one project done before you start another.

Darrin

Freight_Train

Reaction score
hee hee hee,You asked!Found out I can hook a Roadranger RTO6610 behind a 5.9L by using the bellhousing,flywheel,clutch,pressureplate for a 8.3L......Hee hee hee,10 forward gears.....wonder if we could do that with a IDI.....What is the SAE bellhousing number for the engine without the Ford plate?

EvergreenRanch

In Transition
Reaction score
*shaking head* i think all the flooding run off up north has carried and leaked New York crazy into the Gadsden, Alabama water supply **********SWONK********** wake up!

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just when you thought your volume knob went to 11, you found out you had an audio taper pot. LOL

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
Man you are nuts you can't even get truck with straight forward factory parts running but now you wanna do a conversion with a roadranger tranny that may bolt up but probably won't fit under the truck or bolt up to your drive shaft Crazy Man I tell ya

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can get SAE 1 & 2 and possibly 3 for the IH 6.9 and 7.3.

Time to start looking for old school buses or MD trucks for a doner. BTW do you realize how physically big and how heavy a fuller 10 speed is:eek: . You'll have to install a doghouse in place of the transmission tunnel, but you can get that out of an old ford van or ambulance. Might as well go with an 18 speed deep reduction double overdrive if you want to go that far. You will also have to have an air compressor if you don't already to make the splitter work

Personally if I was to do something crazy like this I would go with an easy shifting Eaton Super 10 that you split every other gear and saves alot of rowing in the city or a Volvo fully syncronized 12 speed (very pricy if you can find one)if you can't double clutch.

Freight_Train

Reaction score
Heck no,I hate a Super10 with a passion!Always hated those dang things when I washed truck.Would dread seeing a Condo cab in the truck line.Love the shifting pattern of a Road Ranger.........But then again,these were fleet trucks so if I tried my hand at a newer less tortured Super 10 I might like it better.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Jonathan I don't know about a cummins conversion, our engines have plenty power and most of all they are cheaper to fix than other engines (newer mostly). Now the tranny idea I think is good if you can make it work. Older tranny cost less and 10 gears is something I desire but as stated before that tranny may not fit or you may end up with a small cab space :eek: . That is wy I'm decided to get a gv that will do the job for much less and not so many modifications, but if you find a way to make it work I'd love to see that setup.

It is allways good to have new ideas and many projects, but with no offence intended, we have a saying from where I come "the more you grab the less you hold (grip)".

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very few people have the patience to do the Cummins conversion themselves. I think it was getting a new or good used Cummins and then labor that usually ate up most of the budget...BUT I could be wrong. I mean, why throw cold water on his project? Sure, it won't be easy, but I have to think its better than having white lightning sit. Having said that, I haven't the slightest idea what is required to get a Cummins conversion to work, only what I have read here.