6.9 idi doing funny things

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would suspect a crossfire situation with that broken crank...No#8 firing prematurely...if the plug wires are touching...this can happen...from induction....also winding 'er to the moon and misfiring all the while can break a crank...
Anything is possible, I just figured since it was a high-school kid that he had it wound really tight when the chain let go. I really wish I would have checked to see where the timing marks were at before I pulled it.

Only damage in the entire engine was the crank, timing chain, and somehow just very slight marks on the rear main bearing

James

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
It dawned on me later that it could have been the timing chain loosened up enough to retard the cam timing noticeably and that would make an engine run like a r-a-p-e-d ape just before the chain let go...
When I had that happen to my last Dent Side, it was really low on power and it ran hot. I had to keep it at 55 or else it would overheat. I was moving to another town with it when it happened. I have to give the old girl credit though. She made it right to the city limits sign and then died. She got me there.
The good news is that we don't have to worry about this in an idi.
At least not in this section of the forum. The 6.2/6.5s use timing chains.

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After thinking about it a little (now that I have had enough coffee to be awake) I would guess they would have to be an interference engine to have a high enough compression ratio for diesel.

Definitely wouldn't want that chain jumping.

James

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All Cummins engines that I know of and some, not all, CAT engines, and all 300 six engines also have gears instead of chains. Geared timing is Just a superior design.

I have run an old overhead cam Cat. I hated it… just seemed wrong…

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Back in the 80`s when Diesel was the craze, all these little PU`s and some cars came as Diesel as well.
Mercedes had Diesels way back maybe starting in the late 30`s, but the Americans were finally waking up to them, but GM really put the kabosh on Diesels.

I bought a 82 Datsun 720 KC with the Nissan SD-22 Diesel engine. And that engine was gear driven as most of the other`s on the market were a Timing belt.
I really wanted the Toyota Diesel, but glad I got the Datsun. put way over 400K miles on it.
Also the International Scout was offered the Nissan SD-33 engine, 80 only year it was Turbo`d.

Even the Mercedes Diesels have a double row Timing Chain. I have first had experience with a chain coming apart on our 85 300D doing 65MPH I-80 west bound early one morning east of Winnemucca, Nv. What`s that noise? By then it was over, sounded like Playing cards on my Bike when I was a kid.
The achille`s heal is the Vacuum Pump. bearing fails, the little balls fall down into the chain, and all kinds of fun things happen.

So don`t complain about these Ford Vacuum Pumps.

Goat

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ugh.
I had been sleeping well knowing that my Benz's gas M110 had a double-row timing chain and metal guides (not those plastic ones that break). Now I need to worry about little balls. Thanks. lol

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The achille`s heal is the Vacuum Pump. bearing fails, the little balls fall down into the chain, and all kinds of fun things happen.

So don`t complain about these Ford Vacuum Pumps.

Goat
That kinda sounds like Cummins and the " killer dowel pin".

James

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ugh.
I had been sleeping well knowing that my Benz's gas M110 had a double-row timing chain and metal guides (not those plastic ones that break). Now I need to worry about little balls. Thanks. lol
You have a gas engine, so not to worry. Gas engines produce vacuum. The Diesel has the vacuum pump.

I know one of the years of the MB Gassers, they had a single row chain that caused problems, then came out with a double row chain for them.
Don`t remember what engine it was. Was a V8 as I remember.

Goat

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But are they suffering vacuum pump quality problems like we are?
Well not really, there were some wear parts that needed to be replaced once in a while, and the bearing the little balls fell out of.
but they did last a long time.
I don`t know if mine was original or not at the time it granated the engine.

Goat

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance