Twin Turbos, one off of each side, how to?

Pearl_Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, if I wanted to set up a parallel twin turbo setup, theoretically, I would get two small turbos from four cyl gas cars right? 420 ci / 2 = 210 ci per side, so supposedly, I would need two turbos that make 10-15 lbs apiece, per side, right? I would of course need headers, some creative exhaust tubing, and some intake magic, but what else? I won't have A/C, and I can maneuver some of the windshield washer and Coolant bottles. Does anybody have any tips or help on this kinda thing?

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I thought about the same type of setup myself. I would want to intercool it, so there would have to be some kild of Y pipe in the inlet piping or a dual inlet intercooler with a single outlet on it. I don't know what to do for an intake hat, but there was one is this post that looked pretty good.

A good welding shop should be able to convert an intercooler to a dual inlet for a pretty cheap price.

A set of manifolds that exit in the middle of the 4 cylinders, and point up so that the turbo can be mounted to the manifold easily.

A cold air intake would also be a must, you are going to be tearing everything apart anyways, so you might as well fab up a good intake system...(dual cold air incake cone filters would be ideal)

Dual stacks for exhaust? You would also have to make up oil feed and return lines, and have some way of emptying the turbo oil feeds back into the block. Two identical turbos would yeild the best results for equal cylinder bank boost numbers, but it should even out by the time it hits the intercooler.

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
Sizing turbos for a diesel is different than sizing for a gasser due to rpm range, heat and other things that I'm not sure of. For example a Powerstroke turbo (444ci) can be used on a 5.0 Ford (302ci) with good results. Also HX35's from a Cummins (359ci) are commonly used on Hondas with less than 100cc.

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
A friend of mine runs twin turbos on a 6.2 Chevy, the turbos are off of older Mercedes Diesels. They spool fast and he has them wastegated at 10 pounds.

Attachments

• l_5ea719134b824521b208f8f1dc8e04d1.jpg
    l_5ea719134b824521b208f8f1dc8e04d1.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 100

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
I was going to suggest a pair of super-coupe turbos, but I know nothing about the flow numbers or volume requirements.

You will have to combine the intake somewhere. Either dual inlet intercooler, or dual intercoolers with a dual inlet intake hat. The other option is splitting the intake. I think that would be a bad idea.

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
Super Coupe turbos are also used to twin 5.0's. Could work. Someone that knows how to read a map could give you a better idea

Alex S

Jeoff
Reaction score
are twin turbos relay necessary? since were still limited to amount of boost and intercooling

Pearl_Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Twins probly aren't necessary but...they're cool;Sweet:D
And If they can put them on a 6.2 with good results, why not a 6.9?

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
Nope pulled that one off his myspace, he doesnt have any more on there. Ill see if I can get him to take some more. Anything specific you wanna see?

Fordman75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'll want the turbo's off the T-bird "Turbo coupes" not the "Super coupe". The super coupes use an Eaton M90 supercharger not a turbo.:D

timothyr1014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok, newbie to the forum, newbie to diesels....but glad to see I am not the only one who wants something totally unnecessay but pretty dang cool and unique.

beacause I like to build it myself, I was thinking either turbo coupe, or any 80's GM 3.8 l turbo (buick t-types, trans-am turbo's etc)...

I am new to diesel turbos, but in a gas world, 2 of those with a good wastegate setup should give you a decent amount of boost way down low.