Twin Turbo setup 7.3idi

Ferdy Mint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm afraid you'll get a lot of turbo lag that far back, and lose heat in the run of pipe under your crew cab. Heat expands any gas, which is why hot exhaust makes your turbo spin faster than cool exhaust. Consider the Ford Scorpion motor with its turbo right in the V next the the exhaust ports, a great idea. You could wrap the exhaust pipes fully in heat wrap to preserve heat.

Otoh, as you mentioned, the long run back to the intake would be a natural intercooler of sorts. I don't know how much it would help, but at least it would help some.

Net/net this project would only make sense to me if you stumble on a couple of matching small used turbos in good shape. Turbos have a hard life and most found in junkyards are worn out.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've read up on a few remote turbo builds between here and FTE and the owners have been very pleased with the results. Lots and lots of advice on how laggy they would be and heat loss and stuff but in the end they set them up well and we're happy with the setup.
Oil supply/return is pivotal of course, no shortcuts there.

I say build it and send it and keep us all informed!

Minty Ferd

Reaction score
I've read up on a few remote turbo builds between here and FTE and the owners have been very pleased with the results. Lots and lots of advice on how laggy they would be and heat loss and stuff but in the end they set them up well and we're happy with the setup.
Oil supply/return is pivotal of course, no shortcuts there.

I say build it and send it and keep us all informed!
Well I'll give it a try, probably with 2 ecoboost turbos. If not, i'll find a way to cram twins in the engine bay. Maybe they will have to stick through the hood. I'll make a dedicated build post when I have it done.

Nase88

Reaction score
Hello all, why not just go with a belt driven supercharger simple compact saves all the hassle

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you plain to stuff them in the engine bay here is more food for though. Using two van driver side manifold would aid in your quest, cut the ends and weld square tube to them to the turbo flange. This some mock up I did in the past to see what could work, will pick it back up at a latter date.

This is driver side van manifold flipped and is decent, just is close to the steering. Cutting it closer to the engine for clearence then fit the square tube will give a decent mount point.

You must be registered for see images attach

This the truck driverside on the pass side, it can be made to work but is a bit far foward for the turbo and you will have issues with the dipstick. This would be a precarious position to mount it but dose give room to do what you want for exhasut, I was thinking to try and snake them to outside of the frame. The driverside van maniafold points its output out the side, so can be made to work better because it will keep the runner down to not interfere with the dipstick.

@71 Highboy broungh up welding square tube to the manifolds and has not had issues doing so​

Minty Ferd

Reaction score
Hello all, why not just go with a belt driven supercharger simple compact saves all the hassle
has anyone done this? I think the timing cover would be in the way of a typical bolt on supercharger. Also they are more expensive then turbos.

Minty Ferd

Reaction score
If you plain to stuff them in the engine bay here is more food for though. Using two van driver side manifold would aid in your quest, cut the ends and weld square tube to them to the turbo flange. This some mock up I did in the past to see what could work, will pick it back up at a latter date.

This is driver side van manifold flipped and is decent, just is close to the steering. Cutting it closer to the engine for clearence then fit the square tube will give a decent mount point.

This the truck driverside on the pass side, it can be made to work but is a bit far foward for the turbo and you will have issues with the dipstick. This would be a precarious position to mount it but dose give room to do what you want for exhasut, I was thinking to try and snake them to outside of the frame. The driverside van maniafold points its output out the side, so can be made to work better because it will keep the runner down to not interfere with the dipstick.

@71 Highboy broungh up welding square tube to the manifolds and has not had issues doing so​

I've never welded cast iron to steel, i don't know how that works. But that sure would make it easy to make some custom turbo manifolds. Are you saying you can just swap the manifolds left to right?

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you saying you can just swap the manifolds left to right?

Yes the bolt pattern is center of the ports and even spaced, so can be flipped or mounted on the opposide bank.

pastorjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a fun project. There are enough professional kits and home built systems to hopefully debunk the talk of lag and exhaust heat. I think people just automatically bring that up without research. I could literally drop dozens of links here but thought one little article on a GMC 4.8 gas would be fun reading and get some thoughts swirling. It would seem you need two turbos from a 3.5 engine. So maybe start the JY search there. How about the Nissan 350Z?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score

has anyone done this? I think the timing cover would be in the way of a typical bolt on supercharger
I remember reading threads about this that are now pretty old. From what I remember, the superchargers were remotely mounted off of the passenger's side of the engine. The biggest issue was that it was hard (if not impossible) to find a driven pulley that is small enough to give much boost. Again, if I remember right, the end result was about 6-8 PSI with the smallest pulley that could be found.

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Going through some the spec of some the chap ebay turbos and find half to be a lie in the title. They hide the specs in photos so you cant do a propor search, there is a lot that is a t04b marked as a t04e and most the t04e's are 43 trim but some are way to big with a 80mm inducer. They do keep the t3 turbine side somewhat consitant being there is limited choices like .48, .68, .82 for the a/r of the turbine housing. For used turbos there is not much that I find that would fit the bill past a hy35, issue would be there is dont think can do clocking of housing do to the wastgate.

A t04e 50 trim can be cobbled togetther for around $300, not really finding all the parts for a 46 or 54 trim. You would start with the cheapest wasgated t3/t4 that has the 76mm inducer, then get the other parts else where. Going this route the core needs pulled apart for inspection of the oil port, cleaned of debir, and the turbine/compresor wheel take to get ballenced.

cheap junk but a start
T04E compressor housing
T04E comressor wheel

If you dont want to go through that hassel, can get a new from garret one for a little over $600

T04e 50 trim turbo

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To be conservative with numbers and set target hp to 250-280hp, that would give 23-26lb/min needed. Not finding a map for 43 trim but do find one for 40 trim, it be between this and the 46 trim map. In that target point 10-15psi boost could work out on the 43 trim t04e as is.

eacars

Reaction score
I'm afraid you'll get a lot of turbo lag that far back, and lose heat in the run of pipe under your crew cab. Heat expands any gas, which is why hot exhaust makes your turbo spin faster than cool exhaust. Consider the Ford Scorpion motor with its turbo right in the V next the the exhaust ports, a great idea. You could wrap the exhaust pipes fully in heat wrap to preserve heat.

Otoh, as you mentioned, the long run back to the intake would be a natural intercooler of sorts. I don't know how much it would help, but at least it would help some.

Net/net this project would only make sense to me if you stumble on a couple of matching small used turbos in good shape. Turbos have a hard life and most found in junkyards are worn out.
How about a compound set up with a smaller one midway ?

Minty Ferd

Reaction score
To be conservative with numbers and set target hp to 250-280hp, that would give 23-26lb/min needed. Not finding a map for 43 trim but do find one for 40 trim, it be between this and the 46 trim map. In that target point 10-15psi boost could work out on the 43 trim t04e as is.

I don't know much about turbos, your knowledge is a bit wasted on me. I apprieciate all the info you have given me, I thought all that mattered was the inlet size of a turbo. That would make it a little simpler, you've lost me with these graphs. But i am capable you clicking the link and pressing the big buy button. I think i'll start with the cheap chinese ones, see if it works and replace them later on.