Crazy idea for D44HD TTB 4x4 conversion (feel free to hit me if I'm off the wall)

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I've seen this movie before.

As many of you know may recall, I've often discussed converting my F250 to 4wd but can't figure out a way to keep ride height low and more importantly, Keep my 3.08 rear axle ratio. The D44 is the only axle option up front, since D50s and 60s both only go down to 3.54 ratio. No plans to wheel, plow, or go to oversize tires, so I don't need anything bullet proof.

Now, F250 TTBs are a bit of a pain because they are shorter than the F150 coil sprung version. Some have done the Chevy Knuckle conversion to allow a D44 coil sprung F150 setup to mount onto the factory Twin I-Beam mounts found under a front 2wd F250 (or F150) Frame. Only problem is, this style of conversion requires a downgrade in hubs, knuckles and brakes. Basically, you're running a 1/2 ton front end with 8 bolt hubs. So even though its fairly straight forward, I never pursued it once I saw the compromise. And brakes are one part of the truck that I really don't want to weaken.

Ok, now for the crazy idea. Have a look at the picture below, which shows the difference in swing arm lengths between F150 and F250 TTB axle beams:
You must be registered for see images

Some guys modify these by cutting and welding them for various pre-runner setups, so hacking them is not entirely unusual.

How would it be to mix and match the two beams by cutting them right down the differential housing to extend the HD beam long enough to fit the F150/F250 2wd mounts? The cut would have do be precise. We have a good metal cutting bandsaw that could do it, with the help of a positioner jig. The weld would also have to be very accurate, but I can use the carrier to help align the mixmatched halves. The weld would also span the widest possible cross section of the beam, making it very strong (as compared to other modders, who put the weld on the narrower swing arm).

So, assuming this is possible, the result would be an F150 length beam on one side, with the F250 knuckles on the other. In theory, this should give the following advantages:

1. HD F250 dual piston brakes

2. Dana 50 knuckles, axles, U-joints, and hubs

3. Could still keep the factory leaf spring side of the design (resulting in less leaf twist), or with some imagination, use coil springs/radius arm setup as seen on F150s.

4. Less wheel camber issues, due to longer radius of suspension travel

5. Reduced torsional stress on the front of the frame, due to a longer axle beam

6. Minimum increase in ride height (not an advantage for everyone)

7. Ability to accept 3.07 gears without sacrificing knuckles, brakes, or tire wear performance

Ok...come at me! Where did I go wrong?

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am confused on your priorities. It seems you want to use f150 length arms. Why? Just so you can use your f250 2wd mounting points and coil springs? Could you not just put the whole standard f250 4x4 frontend under your truck(dana 44hd ttb with leaf springs)?

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am confused on your priorities.

Me too LOL

It seems you want to use f150 length arms. Why? Just so you can use your f250 2wd mounting points and coil springs?

Yes, it would mean less modding to the truck frame. But I also get to keep the heavier duty parts associated with the Dana 50 setup (bigger brakes, axles, hubs, bearings, U-joints, and knuckles).

Could you not just put the whole standard f250 4x4 frontend under your truck(dana 44hd ttb with leaf springs)?

Yes I could, but that would mean more ride height, with less suspension travel and poor ride quality. Tire wear issues could also be worse on the F250 TTB setups (shorter arms result in more camber swing during suspension travel).

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They chew up tires, I know I had a TTB front end.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They chew up tires, I know I had a TTB front end.

I wouldn't know first hand, but I believe it. Which is why I'm trying to figure out a way to keep my current suspension geometry. I've always had excellent tire wear with my stock twin I-Beam setup.

My call cut knuckles off n swap knuckles

I thought about that too, but since its boxed construction on the knuckle side of the diff housing, it amounts to just as much welding. Also, I wouldn't have the diff housing to help me align the two parts precisely. There is also more stress on that area since the weight of the truck is directly supported at the knuckle.

Last edited:

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have seen them talk about it before on here but can't remember the details. But we have a bunch of the later model 4x4 superduties with the coil sprung straight axle up front. I don't know what your gear ratio choices would be, and you would have a wheel pattern problem unless you changed the rearend out too.

I would try to find the path of least resistance, cutting off and re-welding the ttb arms seems like a lot of resistance.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are both arms shorter, or is it just the differential beam? That's one thing I can't quite find out.

Pretty sure the SD axles still have the same gear ratio limits, so I'd have to swap the rear end as well. As a side effect, the older dana 60s are getting cheaper to find now that so many SD pickups are going to the scapper. Still, if all I have to do is cut and weld one beam on a work bench, it doesn't seem that much work compared to crawling under a truck to perform a similar amount of modding. I can always do the SAS later since no permanent modding would be needed on the truck frame itself.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IIRC Ford old solid axle D44 HD from 78/9 ish should have correct outter hubs to swap 8 bolt onto the D44 TTB arms.

Thus nice coil spring ride...with 8 lug wheel and brakes.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IIRC Ford old solid axle D44 HD from 78/9 ish should have correct outter hubs to swap 8 bolt onto the D44 TTB arms.

Thus nice coil spring ride...with 8 lug wheel and brakes.

Both F250 arms are short both f150 arms are long.

Could get a prerunner fab company that does cut weld them to swap the outer knuckle portion...still think if cut weld is yer goal thats best.

But older d44 F250 solid axle knuckles have same bj spacing as ttb d44 iirc

JM7.3CW Eh!

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The f150 d44 beams are both longer then the f250 d44hd.

I know you don't want any lift but it's probably the cheapest option to put a d50 under it... same hight as the 44hd but a bit stronger.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The f150 d44 beams are both longer then the f250 d44hd.

Hmm. Well if that's true, then its probably not worth it. Modding one beam might be doable, but two is a a bit crazy even for me.

I know you don't want any lift but it's probably the cheapest option to put a d50 under it... same hight as the 44hd but a bit stronger.

Yeah, I suppose. Still not keen on the TTB leaf spring setup for the above mentioned reasons. But you're right, it would be cheaper. Although with the availability of D60s lately, even that wouldn't be too bad (going from 3.08 to 3.55 would only amount to a ~14% increase in final drive ratio)

Aw well. Thanks for the input guys. Back to the drawing board.

Last edited:

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could get a prerunner fab company that does cut weld them to swap the outer knuckle portion...still think if cut weld is yer goal thats best.

Looking again at the photo I posted at the start, it looks like the length of the beam on the outer side of the pumpkin is longer on the F250 version. If that's the case, your idea to cut/weld at the knuckle might have been the only real option anyway.

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I mentioned this a couple years ago on here. I did not measure but it sure looks like the 1/2 ton 44 beams are the same length as the 2wd ttb arms.

I do have to kinda disagree with your stance on the Chevy 44HD outers and brakes being smaller. I did that swap on my 90 bronco. it was (IMO) the easiest way to make it an 8 lug front. The calipers are dual piston and the shoes and rotor are the same size as an F-250. Most 86 F-250 and earlier had the 44HD front with nearly the same size bearing so I don't see that as a compromise either. Granted my bronco doesn't have an IDI, but it does have a big block and seems to be handling the weight just fine.

anyway you go with this ill be anxious to see how it turns out. 4wd for the winter and mud w/o compromising that smoooooth 2wd ride.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I mentioned this a couple years ago on here. I did not measure but it sure looks like the 1/2 ton 44 beams are the same length as the 2wd ttb arms.

I do have to kinda disagree with your stance on the Chevy 44HD outers and brakes being smaller. I did that swap on my 90 bronco. it was (IMO) the easiest way to make it an 8 lug front. The calipers are dual piston and the shoes and rotor are the same size as an F-250. Most 86 F-250 and earlier had the 44HD front with nearly the same size bearing so I don't see that as a compromise either. Granted my bronco doesn't have an IDI, but it does have a big block and seems to be handling the weight just fine.

Ok, that's new to me. I did not know that its possible to keep the bigger F250 brakes along with the dual piston calipers. The information I was able to glean from the interwebs was that the chevy stuff is on par with 1/2 ton stuff. I may have to revisit this option.

anyway you go with this ill be anxious to see how it turns out. 4wd for the winter and mud w/o compromising that smoooooth 2wd ride.

That's one of the reason's I keep coming back to the Dana44 option.;Sweet

Besides, once my truck is fully restored and put back together, I really won't be leaving the pavement very much anyway.