New kickers for the old 1986 F350 + build info

Rusgo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Studs and brake rod all welded up. Using the original brake rod end plus 1.2" to get the right length and fitment.

Welded both side of the studs and filled in the old holes because OCD

Have some big pipe from an old aircraft hanger that looked about the right size for a hydroboost nut socket. Notched a 1 7/8" square using a straight edge and eyeball
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Rusgo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rough piece fit perfect on the first try. Should have just left it there, grabbed a pipe wrench, and torqued it off

Instead I spent a couple hours welding all the grooves, added a piece of square tube in the back for any wrench, and shaped it meticulously...

End result is the best fitting, prettiest, most durable hydroboost socket out there [emoji23]

Rusgo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All bolted up! Pedal is in a good spot. looks so much prettier than the vacuum can.

Test fitting the lines. Bought them for the late 90s trucks with hydroboost. The steering pump lines look different.

One has an oring and the other a white plastic washer. Anybody dealt with this before?

Thinking I might have to get the right adapter for the pump reservoir

Rusgo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had an extra pump with a different adapter in my garage. The new power steering line threads into both but the end doesn't contact the base of either

I'm thinking it's only the small Teflon washer that forms the seal.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That would be my guess. There's probably o rings in the fitting itself so the hose can still turn even when the fitting is tight. I wouldn't be afraid to try it but I'd have some oil dry just in case!

Rusgo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah so nomatter what line fitting is in the reservoir this new style line will work. The Teflon seal just crushes itself when installed and the line pivots on the internal orings even when tight.

Probably a single use deal

Rusgo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fabbed a bracket to mount a proportioning valve/distribution block to the master cylinder

I get a kick out of making anything. Like holy crap, that just came out of a hunk of metal..

Had to weld in a little brake fitting to plug a sensor hole on the master cylinder

And going to epoxy in a barbed fitting into the fill neck of the in the steering pump reservoir for the hydroboost return line. Hopefully epoxy can stand up to brake fluid [emoji28]

Last edited:

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And going to epoxy in a barbed fitting into the fill neck of the in the steering pump reservoir for the hydroboost return line. Hopefully epoxy can stand up to brake fluid

Don’t put brake fluid in your power steering reservoir then, and everything should be fine.

Sorry, I couldn’t resist.

That bracket looks nice BTW. Should be a nice setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rusgo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha, definitely solid advice. I could edit the post to correct, but it should stay up

Rusgo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rear brakes finished up. Took so much time. Always underestimating how much time this stuff takes

Clean and strip and etch and clean and paint. Oof

Feels dirty putting Cadillac parts on here, but I have a truck with the same brake setup so parts are easy

Reversed the factory Ebrake cable and with small modifications it worked perfect for the caliper Ebrake brackets

They need more slack though. When installing super duty springs will integrate Ebrake bracket into forward spring hanger, setting it further back

Wondering if I should ditch the factory brake lever thing attached to the axle and body? Looks like it adjusts brake pressure depending on ride height changes

Last edited:

Rusgo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Prepping stuff and doggo keeping company

Last edited:

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wondering if I should ditch the factory brake lever thing attached to the axle and body? Looks like it adjusts brake pressure depending on ride height changes

Yes. They're known to fail and start leaking at some point and as far as I know no longer available. I would remove it from the equation if it was me.

Rusgo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hydroboost install finished. Entire brake system is new. Better be just pads for the next decade!

Really like how the distribution block install looks. Custom and unique. Easy access to control pressure to the rear brakes

Power steering lines turned out super clean. Lots of bending to make make it look factory

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac