Twin Turbos, one off of each side, how to?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What we need more than anything, is the availability of a custom exhaust manifold to do this. You'd only have to make one kind. The same one would fit both sides. Somebody at one point made a single aftermarket turbo for our engines that had the turbo mount to the exhaust manifold, and then there was a cross over pipe from the other side. Maybe that item could be used as a basis.

Pearl_Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What I was thinking was make the exhaust manifolds go up, and just mount one turbo on each valve cover somehow. then you just relocate the batteries and have twin airboxes, one on each side. And...you could now have TRUE dual exhaust. :D

3day240sx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After reading this I realized no one mentioned a proper size for running on a 7.3. I have 2 .60 a/r turbos that are about equal to a gt30 to gt35. They will boost a 351w decently but aren't big boost turbos for a Windsor. Would these work for the 7.3? If I set them on the truck I would plan on mounting them to the front of the frame rail right next to the radiator. They might have a little more lag with them that far from the engine but they would have all sorts of room. Any suggestions?

Thanks

wjamesm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Theres a guy over on the powerstroke nation with a psd that is running parallel set of twins like you are talking about , quite a few guys over there said it wouldn't work but he's proving them wrong ,theres a couple of vids of him pulling a sled on there to along with some pics of the turbo setup.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Theres a guy over on the powerstroke nation with a psd that is running parallel set of twins like you are talking about , quite a few guys over there said it wouldn't work but he's proving them wrong ,theres a couple of vids of him pulling a sled on there to along with some pics of the turbo setup.

post us a link or some pics or a video i would like to see that i mean yea it aint a idi but it still be cool

Pearl_Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I think a good set of smaller gas turbos would be great, but the objective here is to put it on a 21.5:1 compression IDI...so I think some small turbos would be adequate. But for the extreme side...I would probly go with twin t466 turbos off of a two ton. and then just run twin intake stacks out of the cowl, or just run four big stacks out of the hood, two intake, two exhaust.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But for the extreme side...I would probly go with twin t466 turbos off of a two ton.

Extreme for sure! One DT466 turbo will give way more than enough boost for these IDI's. Just ask Dusty (91F2504x4). He's running one remotely mounted on his IDI. That thing will make like 5 psi just rev'ing it in netural!:eek: He's had to work the wastegate to prevent lifting the heads off! Those can easily and effiecently make 20-30 psi. Two on each bank....like you said.......extreme.

Heath.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I have been looking for a turbo from a DT466 after talking with 91F2504x4 way back last winter....I have been unable to find one ANYWHERES. Not even a worn out one to rebuild. I seen a couple videos of his truck and it is cleanly installed and seems to work pretty good!

janos1

That's gonna hurt
Reaction score
What I was thinking was make the exhaust manifolds go up, and just mount one turbo on each valve cover somehow. then you just relocate the batteries and have twin airboxes, one on each side. And...you could now have TRUE dual exhaust. :D

I would believe that you are on to something. I have made more than my fair share of SS turbo headders and sheet metal intakes for the Pro 5.0 guys. I think that would be a great idea. If the twins were mounted so that the output of the cold side would be pointing strait down toward the rad mount and then turn into the bottom of the intercooler then you could have the charge pipe coming out of the top at wherever you like. Kinda like this one on a V-6. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5ej6SPKk3w With a bit of thinkin' it's possible.:sly

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
sometime around the beginning of the year i will be making exhaust flanges and possibly intake flanges to make your own. If someone could get me some turbo flange gaskets i could make those up as well.

Pearl_Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to try to get ahold of my neigbors plasma and cut some flanges out, he said he'll help me with this project, and I'm going to see what happens. -Flame Thr