Twin Turbo 7.3 IDI?

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Wes. Will the IDIT engine last at that level for a decent amount of time? What kind of water to air intercooled boost level is required on the IDIT to get to see 350hp and 750 lb-ft of torque? Are you planning on offering a camshaft for this engine or is R&D IDI the only source for an aftermarket cam for the 7.3? Nothing against Justin just want to know. I have one of his IP's a 90cc that I'm going to transfer over to the 7.3 IDI that's in the garage. It's kind of funny I put that on the 7.3 IDIT finally got the turbo work all done and got it running. Unfortunately the turbo I bought, which was sold to me as a direct replacement, was WAY too big and will produce all of 5-7psi of boost full throttle under load. After one of return lines cracked and then the twins arrived yadda yadda we bought a MegaCab (I know boohiss) and I haven't even popped the hood on the truck in at least 3 years. We bought a TD-6 dozer which is why I'm looking at the F600 because I would like to start a side hustle with the dozer and having a dump truck would be handy for both hauling the dozer and moving gravel or anything need for fixing roads and the other stuff people hire you to do with a dozer. I like the 429 engine and building one into a beast for something sounds fun but buying the gas for one in a dumptruck does not hence the plan for pulling the gas and putting in the 7.3 IDIT. Plus a decent IP and a good turbo and that engine should outperform the factory gas options pretty easily.
I'm no hot-rodder but you could probably find a mechanical DT466 for less than you'll ever rebuild an IDIT for and fuel delivery increases involve like a star drive or allen wrench and 10 minutes lol. Plus it's already a medium duty engine, and will have the bellhousing to fit a heavy duty transmission to pull your dozer and heavy trailer.
Nothing at all against building the IDIT just saying.

BTW I love the twins things, lol! Twin turbos and twin boys, "I have a thing for twins". :D

Edit: Your twins are fraternal, a boy and a girl! Sorry OP

Last edited:

Chemgrad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm no hot-rodder but you could probably find a mechanical DT466 for less than you'll ever rebuild an IDIT

I'm sure you are correct and I like the the DT466 engines. The main reason why I was looking at the IDIT is because I already own it and it shouldn't have any issues fitting in the truck since they come with big block V8's already. I agree that the DT360, DT408 or DT466 are far easier to increase the fuel delivery and can probably handle more power and if I had one I would definitely be looking at a way to put that bad boy into something.

Twins are awesome aren't they. I have a little boy and a little girl. Hard to believe how fast they grow.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now I'm curious, why intentionally underpower an f 600?
The thing is screaming for a med duty powerplant...

JAKRANCH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Along with the boohissing mega cab didn't ford sell f600s with a cummins stock? I know they did with later f550s?

Chemgrad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Along with the boohissing mega cab didn't ford sell f600s with a cummins stock? I know they did with later f550s?

Yeah they did but out of this Dad of Twins price range.
Now I'm curious, why intentionally underpower an f 600?
The thing is screaming for a med duty powerplant...

Are you talking about the 7.3 IDI or the DT? Either would probably be an improvement over all the gasser options outside of the 429 but I can't help myself if it is stock there has to be something done to it to make it better :)

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 7.3
With a dt you can bolt on a real transmission.
I get working with a budget.

Chemgrad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 7.3 IDI non turbo engine came with the transmission from a S1600 or S1800 IH truck so not worried about that part of the build.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
The 7.3 IDI non turbo engine came with the transmission from a S1600 or S1800 IH truck so not worried about that part of the build.
Even better. I guess this should stop all of the transmission talk. Personally, I want to see you do it.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
everyone told me no, as well.
ive rather enjoyed building it.
still lots of work to be done

You must be registered for see images attach

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@IDIoit nice, I agree with that mentality. I rather try and break stuff myself and see what happens. Always I ask "why" someone's saying something and go and try and measure it or do the math myself.
Alot of times on the internet it's people parroting what they heard or read once.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

IH-GM IDI

Reaction score
Putting twins in a 80's f600 shouldn't be to hard, you've got allot more room to work with than on an f350. And if you get the cooling stack from f800 that had a Cummins the intercooler and radiator are plenty big to handle 300+ hp

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bolt in wise, easy money!
Tie 50k# onto it and see how the 200hp measures up to a real truck eng. (Remember these are tractor engineering).
Go ahead and drop it in, should work fine, do the twins.
Thee wee ******* sounds AWESOME!