Twin Turbo 7.3 IDI?

Chemgrad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I've got a couple 7.3 IDI engines one in still sitting in a 1994 F250 and one sitting in the garage. The one sitting in the truck is a factory turbo engine and the other is a from a International 2 ton truck. What I want to do is put one of these engines in a F600 and I was thinking about doing a twin turbo setup on it just for the hell of it. Not a compound system but a turbo on each bank. Is this a horrible idea or is it just crazy? I was thinking about running at least a 110cc pump and running head studs. As of right now I'm curious about the feasibility of a this type of project and if it is a good or bad idea. Would it be better to run compounds or is that just crazy as well.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For just a 110 pump I would just run a single turbo, if you plan on pushing 400-500+ then twins or compounds would be worth the work, but for setups running less than 400hp youre going to need some tiny turbos to have decent response in a twins config.

Chemgrad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay so not really worth the effort. That's too bad. I was thinking a pair of relatively small turbos but wasn't sure how it would work on a diesel. I'm looking at picking up a F600 that was gas and putting the 7.3 into it. The 70's models were pushing less than 200hp and the 80's models were pushing just over so I'm aiming for something in the low to mid 300's with torque around 600-700 lb ft. Nothing huge but a vast improvement over stock. I really want a 429 truck to start with so I can build a twin turbo version of the 429.

Duke84

Reaction score
To run a true twin (parallel) turbo set up will require loads of custom fabrication. I was looking into doing that myself. The only real benefit I could see is a faster spooling and wider power curve. However that's an extreme amount of work and time for generally a small improvement. Depending on end goal for use it may be worth it to some people.

Chemgrad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah that's exactly what I was planning. As my profile pic shows I like twins. I was thinking the same thing a broader power curve and decreased exhaust backpressure. I'm teaching myself how to TIG so the fabrication part isn't really that big of a deal to me. I figured by the time I got it done I would either be pretty darn good at TIG or Murdock crazy (A-Team). What would be a good set of turbos to use for something like that? I was thinking about going with a pair of cheap Ebay turbos for the initial and then when they bite the dust go with borgs probably. It's something about that V8 twin symmetry that is really appealing.

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want a small quick spooling turbos look at the 2.0 liter Ecoboost engines. Should be lots of those around although I haven't really checked on prices.

Chemgrad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah that's what I was thinking. Something that can support circa 200hp should be about right correct?

Chemgrad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever setup tried running multiple injection pumps like they do with the common rails? Kind of unrelated to this post but just curious if anyone has ever tried it?

Chemgrad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I figured someone had to have tried it and I was thinking it would probably be Wes. Just occurred to me last night as I was trying to get to sleep that it should be a relatively easy way to increase the amount of fuel available and would be a lot cheaper than using the Hypermax inline pump. I have no plans of doing anything like that though as I'm not aiming that high. How much horsepower will a 130cc pump support? I don't know what the equation for determining horsepower from CC of fuel.

Chemgrad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Wes. Will the IDIT engine last at that level for a decent amount of time? What kind of water to air intercooled boost level is required on the IDIT to get to see 350hp and 750 lb-ft of torque? Are you planning on offering a camshaft for this engine or is R&D IDI the only source for an aftermarket cam for the 7.3? Nothing against Justin just want to know. I have one of his IP's a 90cc that I'm going to transfer over to the 7.3 IDI that's in the garage. It's kind of funny I put that on the 7.3 IDIT finally got the turbo work all done and got it running. Unfortunately the turbo I bought, which was sold to me as a direct replacement, was WAY too big and will produce all of 5-7psi of boost full throttle under load. After one of return lines cracked and then the twins arrived yadda yadda we bought a MegaCab (I know boohiss) and I haven't even popped the hood on the truck in at least 3 years. We bought a TD-6 dozer which is why I'm looking at the F600 because I would like to start a side hustle with the dozer and having a dump truck would be handy for both hauling the dozer and moving gravel or anything need for fixing roads and the other stuff people hire you to do with a dozer. I like the 429 engine and building one into a beast for something sounds fun but buying the gas for one in a dumptruck does not hence the plan for pulling the gas and putting in the 7.3 IDIT. Plus a decent IP and a good turbo and that engine should outperform the factory gas options pretty easily.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance