Turbo on the way

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I finally got DPS to ship my turbo today...or at least they said they would. So I am looking forward to a turbo project. I still need to get a set of all gaskets and Orings for the system. For those who don't know or have forgotten, it is an ATS non wastegated unit, so unfortunately the seal kit is NLA from ATS. I also will need to do something about the dipstick tube and firewall clearance. I liked the flexible dipstick tube that some of you all recommended, but I'm still open to other suggestions. I have to decide what to do about crankcase ventilation. I am leaning toward a straight road draft tube or keeping the stock CDR. Will the CDR with a turbo cause any problems that it won't with a NA engine, other than perhaps a slightly oily intake? I mean anything to really damage the turbo or engine? Lastly I am interested in the Hypermax cowl induction snorkel. Seems like a good idea to start out with cooler air to reduce EGT #s. So if anyone can give me anymore suggestions I'm open to it. My biggest question is what seals and orings will I need considering I'll need to find them individually and also I want to clean the turbo downpipe and uppipes because they have some dirt, rust and abrasives in them, so I'd like everyone's advice on how best to clean them out. I REALLY don't want to damage the turbo starightaway on installation. Thanks for listening,
J.D.

SKimballC

Reaction score
I will hopefully be pulling one of those same turbos from my truck this weekend. I can go through it when it's off and check for all the seals and o-rings and tell you what I can. I also used to have the ATS parts sheet for that thing but I will have to do some serious digging to turn it up. I found it online so maybe its still floating around out there.
I'd put the CDR in the ATS airbox. I am not a fan of the smokey RDT.

SKimballC

Reaction score
JD, allright, that was quick. I found the sheet. It was 2 feet from me while a typed that. Hows about this- since I will have both the available and obsolete turbos in front of me I will compare the o-rings, seals, and grommets. I can tell you right now that at least a couple should be the same and at least one ain't. I will have all new seals from ATS by then too, so I can tell you the ones I got new that will work for you. The ones that you will still need I'll measure and stuff. PM me an address and I'll snail mail you a copy of the parts sheet.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only "harm" factor that may occur with the CDR, would be the oil mist on your turbo. Not sure what the droplet size is, or if they could damage the blades over time.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks SKC, I will PM you my mailing addy. There is a fairly new CDR already plugged into the ATS airbox that came with the turbo. Is there any reason why putting it here would eb a bad idea? Also, let me know how much time it takes you to pull the turbo and if you think the difficulty level is too high. I am debating if I am going to need to have the help of my mechanic friend(not free or even cheap!) to install this thing. Bear in mind teh truck is my DD. I could probably have it down 2-3 days but beyond that it would be a hardship on me and everyone else in the family. Thanks for teh help.

SKimballC

Reaction score
You can do it in 2 days, but you need to be sure you have everything you will need. The parts sheet does show where all the hardware goes, though not sizes. I'll see if I can measure and make a list. There's some tough parts of the install, mostly involving putting the nuts on that hold the turbo down, but its not too bad.
Have you got an exhaust system or at least a downpipe for it? Did you get the the valve cover with the hole in it or at least the grommet if you make your own hole? Ensure you have all your parts compared to this sheet and you'll be OK.
There's nothing wrong with using the CDR how ATS has it. I have seen no damage to the blades on both turbos I have had, from the CDR or otherwise. Both of them mileage unknown.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 3" exhaust with a free flowing muffler. I have the whole kit, downpipe, uppipe everything. I will have to either cut the hole in the valve cover I have or perhaps I could use the Banks adapter or something else as a crancase vent. I need to figure outa way to ditch the Y-pipe and go 3" all the way.

SKimballC

Reaction score
JD- Well, I looked over the 2 turbos and the only o-ring that matches up is the one that goes in the front of the pedestal up against the intake manifold. I thought the one under the intake hat (or pressure chamber as ATS calls it) would be the same, but they're not. That one is flat, as you can see if you flip your intake hat over. It fits into that ring on the bottom side and sits flush with the edges of the hat. A rounded o-ring of proper diameter should work once the hat is tightened down on it.
I think you're going to be forced to find a place that has a cornocopia of o-rings for you to go through. With the parts in your hand you'll be able to find the ones that will fit. For the pedestal, you need one at the top of the mount, the aformentioned one at the back of the intake manifold, and the grommet into the valley pan, which I hear is the stock CDR grommet. For the intake hat, you need one under it, and one inside the inlet where the compressor slides in. There's also one inside the filter box where it slides over the turbo inlet. So that is 5 o-rings all day, plus the valley pan grommet.
This should all make sense once you get the parts sheet, which my lazy ass has not yet mailed. Tomorrow! I promise. I am gonna write some notes down for ya too. Sorry I can't be of more help.:sorry: I somehow sold my old turbo without really listing it for sale, and had it picked up from me by a friendly fellow Oilburner, RLDSL, about 12 hours later.:D

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I got your message, thanks. There was no real hurry on the project, I appreciate this info as well, it will all be useful. As far as a ton of o-rings, my local CAT dealer says they have them by the bin and I can bring in the parts and match 'em up. Peace,
J.D.