Turbo numbers

creighta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been looking at turbos for a while and keep running across Garett t-4s for little of nothing. Some even claim they are good to 500hp, but that is w/o specifying engine size or CFM.

What size of turbo do these engines need? What identifying info do I need before trying to cobble something together?

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There has been a lot of talk about adapting T4 to our engines in fact I'm pretty sure the ATS 093 uses a T3/T4 hybrid...maybe that's backwards....I know little of nothing about how to specify and match turbochargers but this is probably a Typ4 question...his line of work. He should be home soon from Europe. I think it would be great to add a turbo that can efficiently boost 15-20 psi. We know the bottom end can take it, with Moose Pumps and similar upgraded pumps we have plenty of fuel, and with studs and the latest gasket revision the blown head gaskets aren't even so much a concern. And, if emissions are a worry Hypermax pretty much resolved the ecessive smoke issue with a boost reference....

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Hp rating is a very optimistic estimate for a GASSER. I would cut that in half to get an idea for what sort of power it could support in a diesel like ours.