Turbo is on...now CARNAGE

Cat_Rebel

Does not compute
Reaction score
Well we got the 088 on & it was running okay. Took it for a drive & it was okay. Took it for another drive & hit 7-8lbs of boost & 800* EGT flying by my house. Turned around in a intersection right down the road & noticed it was smoking from under the hood. Chulked it up for the down pipe not being on or just because I was waiting for the rad to burp. Go back home & let it sit & idle to cool off for a min or so. Jump out & it's dumping oil like mad. So I thought it was the oil line & the pedistal. Replaced the line & got the pedistal sealed. Now run it in the driveway tonight & it's dumping oil like mad still. :***:
The valley is full of oil & I'm ready to shoot it. :D

Any ideas?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Turbo oil drain back grommet into the valley pan would be my guess. You would probably see oil running off the top of the oil supply feed line area so it wont be leaking there.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is possible that the increased pressure of the turbo is over-working your crank-case evacuation vent system and the oil is pouring out the point(s) of least resistance.

It is also possible you have a bad turbo shaft-seal and it is pouring oil into the intake or exhaust.

Was it a new turbo ??

7-8 PSI seems sort of low for a boost figure; my old HyperMax/Garret on the old 6.9 easily bumped 15-PSI and the Holset on the Cummins will idle at 5-7 and peg the needle on a 30-PSI gauge.

Is the EGT reading taken pre-turbo or post-turbo ??

As for the oil drain-back line, does it simply dump through a grommet in the valley ??

You may have to weld a fitting into the oil-pan and let it dump there.

Cat_Rebel

Does not compute
Reaction score
It is possible that the increased pressure of the turbo is over-working your crank-case evacuation vent system and the oil is pouring out the point(s) of least resistance.

I have a free flowing crank case vent that dumps right out by the frame rail.

It is also possible you have a bad turbo shaft-seal and it is pouring oil into the intake or exhaust.

I just rebuilt the turbo, when I got it it had no in & out but some side to side. Since the rebuild it's spinning like normal. Don't have the down pipe on but nothing coming out of the exhaust side. Had the cross over pipe off a few times & no oil in there either.

Was it a new turbo ??

Used ATS 088 Non wastegated with a Garrett TO4 turbo. Rebuilt it before I installed it.

7-8 PSI seems sort of low for a boost figure; my old HyperMax/Garrett on the old 6.9 easily bumped 15-PSI and the Holset on the Cummins will idle at 5-7 and peg the needle on a 30-PSI gauge.

One thing to remember is you need fuel to build more boost. My fuel is maybe a flat over stock right now & I have 4.10s with 31s & no load, so it's alittle harder to build full boost. From what other 088 users were saying 7-8 is normal unloaded & up to 12 or so towing.
I know other engines push more, PSD with a chip can hit 25lbs in a hurry. Cummins can as well but we aren't talking about other engines here.

Is the EGT reading taken pre-turbo or post-turbo ??

Temps were pre turbo, like I said the pump can be turned up more.

As for the oil drain-back line, does it simply dump through a grommet in the valley ??

Yes it drops straight down in place of the stock one.

You may have to weld a fitting into the oil-pan and let it dump there.

Sounds like alot of fun.

Hope that answers a few questions.

suv7734

Reaction score
There is an o-ring where the turbo mounts on the return tube. It has been a problem for some people before and will puke oil all over the valley pan if is is not seated correctly. When installing it is best to use a bit of grease to hold the o-ring in place and then mount everything up. Just a thought. Here's a diagram if you don't have it already. I mean part # 19.

Attachments

• 6.9-7.3-088-Ford-Turbo-System-Layout-sm-A4.pdf
    190.2 KB · Views: 41

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you poke more holes in the pan under the drain?

I don't believe this question was answered yet. If you read my turbo install article, did you do the oil flow test before installation, as I suggested in the article?

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
I would also have to say the most likely thing going on here is lack of oil return flow, and its backing up into the valley pan.
Did you or didnt you poke extra holes in the valley pan?

Cat_Rebel

Does not compute
Reaction score
I don't believe this question was answered yet. If you read my turbo install article, did you do the oil flow test before installation, as I suggested in the article?

I would also have to say the most likely thing going on here is lack of oil return flow, and its backing up into the valley pan.
Did you or didnt you poke extra holes in the valley pan?

I never read the turbo install artical & no one ever brought up drilling extra holes in the valley pan until now. Guess I'll have to look it up.

*Furthermore now looking at the thing SUV posted it would appear that I seem to be missing the Grommet, must still be hooked up to the old truck.

Last edited:

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
I would be satisified with the 7-8 PSI of boost.My 088 tops out about the same.How did you hook up your breather system?

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can count on one hand the times I have seen 7-8 psi with my ATS 088. You have to remember that Midnight Rider ran his truck HARD with huge loads of cattle most of the time, and the increased fuel efficiency and ability to go fast was the reason for his switch to a Cummins. If you have a free flowing exhaust and enough fuel and load I gurantee you that 088 will boost until something breaks. Mine sees 0-1psi anywhere from idle to around 2000 rpms and 2-3+ as the throttle is advanced beyond that depending on how much load.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you've found your problem too, between a lack of any grommets or orings and the lack of oil drainback you will have that thing leaking like a seive. Hope you can source the appropriate grommet in a timely manner. Also you need to poke your valley pan holes with an ice pick, an awl, a sharp screwdriver, no drills please! You need to whack it good, you're going through two layers of metal.

Cat_Rebel

Does not compute
Reaction score
I would be satisified with the 7-8 PSI of boost.My 088 tops out about the same.How did you hook up your breather system?

If you look in this pic on the right you can see the tube. I zip tied it down on the frame rail.

[URL=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2501875220103447628gEunaj]
You must be registered for see images
[/URL]

Where does one go to find a valley pan grommit since I appear to be missing one? Also is there a trick for getting the Up pipe seperated from the exhaust housing? Mine's stuck on there pretty good & makes removal of the turbo almost impossiable.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I never read the turbo install artical & no one ever brought up drilling extra holes in the valley pan until now. Guess I'll have to look it up.

*Furthermore now looking at the thing SUV posted it would appear that I seem to be missing the Grommet, must still be hooked up to the old truck.
If you asked questions ahead of time, you'd be buried in info and lots of pretty pics.
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=16267
Mel, Zigg and I beat the life out of this one a year ago:D