LuLuBelle is possessed!!!

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely, trying to cruise a parking lot will get lots of weird looks from people that haven't been around them. :Thumbs Up

James

tbowker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just replace them with some Timkens and you'll be fine.
Do you have a part number for these Timken bearings? I have a zf5 s42 transmission and the throw out bearing started squealing after the first 500 miles of a brandy new clutch install.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just installed a Luk Clutch in the 86, up graded to a 12". I used the Pilot bearing that came with it, but the TO bearing looked a bit iffy. Then when I was looking for it it disappeared, :dunno.... I installed a Timkin I had, but it looks a bit chincy. Plastic sleeve with metal bearing. We`ll see how far this one lasts.

Bought the Luk from Parts Geek part# 07-065, and another # 631 3046 770

I have had problems with the TO Bearings. Had a shop replace the other clutch a few years ago. Some time later hear this chirp chirp sound, and came up it was the TO Bearing. replaced it with an O`really bearing. looked pretty stout, all metal. later on it to started to make noise. Both of them the bearing was dry and all wobbly. Seems like pressure on them and they spin all the time...maybe they do? Iam easy on clutches, never hold the peddle in when stopped, been driving these things 60 years, and driven all sorts of clutch vehicles.

I changed it this time because something seemed to be going on in this area, and decided to just rip into it.
Once I got it out, the PP and Disk looked pretty good. So Iam coming to the conclusion it was the TO Bearing along with the Slave/MC being part of the problem. The rod from the peddle to the slave is adjustable, and messing it from time to time helped but then back to the same problem.
SOOO we will see if replacing everything and up grading to a 12" will work for the long haul.

The Slave and MC I bought from O`Really are all metal this time. we`ll see how long they last.....

Goat

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LuLuBelle still has the original clutch.
As a friend of mine likes to say concerning any “pre-carnage”: this factoid seems suspect.

I’ll bet two dozen chicken wings there are bulged, broken or missing springs on your DMF. Pictures will be required please.

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is normal, it is called “gear roll over noise” it is not harmful to the transmission just sounds terrible
With the idis rough nature is the cause that is why the dual mass flywheels are a thing is to even out the roughness so when you go single mass that’s why it makes the noise
It’s all in how well your engine is balanced
The reason why the gassers have singles and not the diesels is because they are more “smooth”
Old/ bad dual masses do the same thing

mexicanjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is normal, it is called “gear roll over noise” it is not harmful to the transmission just sounds terrible
With the idis rough nature is the cause that is why the dual mass flywheels are a thing is to even out the roughness so when you go single mass that’s why it makes the noise
It’s all in how well your engine is balanced
The reason why the gassers have singles and not the diesels is because they are more “smooth”
Old/ bad dual masses do the same thing

that noise just started last week, Due to a murder trial at work,Im gonna check the gearbox for issues by removing the sideplate later this week. Wish I could peek inside and see if the TOB is messing up and causing my problems. With my luck it would be both gearbox and clutch...........
stay tuned for more info

mexicanjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ill do it later this week, no time to mess with it right now. JF. I'm kinda short on places I can work on LuLuBelle. I've got the driveway but we use it to load my son in the wheelchair. Nothing like rolling around in the West Texas dust with a piece of cardboard as a mechanics creeper.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ill do it later this week, no time to mess with it right now. JF. I'm kinda short on places I can work on LuLuBelle. I've got the driveway but we use it to load my son in the wheelchair. Nothing like rolling around in the West Texas dust with a piece of cardboard as a mechanics creeper.
I totally understand, I have blankets and such.

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have up with cardboard, throw on the coveralls and send it